DIY Acid Wash on Landscape Rock?

May 6, 2008
Arizona
Has anybody had experience performing an acid-wash on rocks that sit at the edge of a pool? I have a large one that is inset into the pool, and I think an acid-wash to remove the layer of calcium would really bring out a good color. Is it O.K. to let runoff from an acid-washed rock run into the pool? Will it raise my CH level?

The rock is the one on the right in this picture. It is a nice black color (visible where it got chipped during installation), but looks white because of all the buildup (presumably calcium) on it.

normal_2008-05-04%20Pool%20Fill%20013.jpg

I'm thinking of doing it myself, and welcome any advice.

It's no problem letting muriatic acid go into your pool, in fact it is what you use to lower PH. It has no affect on Chlorine. Dilute the acid down before using, don't use it full strength. Never add water to acid, add the acid to water. Wear gloves, eye protection and junky clothes and scrub away :) Wash it down good when you're done. It looks like you don't have any adjacent plants, but if you work in another area that does have plants then protect them from the acid. Good luck!

Thanks! Good advice. I'm trying to do stuff like this before I get the landscaping in, just in case. I was afraid maybe the combination of acid and "rock junk" getting in the pool would harm things, but you've set my mind at ease a bit. If I do undertake this, I'll post some before/after pictures.

No problem! Nice pool by the way, at least what I can see of it in that pic :) Most of the stuff that comes off the rock will get filtered out. If any big chunks come off of it you can net them out.

If the acid wash doesn't seem to get very far you can increase the strength of it and try again. I'm curious to see if you can get down to the dark part of the rock with acid washing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.