Looking for some information for a friend on his pool

superray

Bronze Supporter
Jun 24, 2012
NASA/ TX
Hi All,
I was visiting a friend this weekend in Arizona and he was disturbed by a white 'ring' around his pool. He has owned his home for a few years and apparently it has a salt generator installed until one day someone came and stole the cell (but not the controller) so now he just uses a floating chlorine dispenser. Anyway he is looking to get this ring removed and was asking of it's a salt stain? (to me it looks like erosion -but I don't know jack about pools yet) so I was hoping someone of here could take a look at the attached photos and let me know if there is anything that can help or be recommended his with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Images are attached below and higher resolution images are here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 62e84b8614

Assuming his waterline has gotten that high, or from splashing, that's scaling from evaporation. That looks like a water feature he has, which has a lot of scaling on the edges, so that makes sense. It doesn't look like salt build-up to me, nor does it look like etching. But instead it looks like calcium deposits.

What's your friend's TA & CH at? Where does his pH usually sit at? High & low.

Normally I'd say to hit it with some Muriatic Acid, but it's not tile and MA etches concrete. I would think a dilute solution would work, but someone will come along that knows more about scale on concrete than I do.
If it were salt, it would scrub off with water and a brush.

It also concerns me that your friend is using a floating chlorinator. This continually adds CYA (CL Stabilizer) to the pool, pretty soon it gets to be too much and you can't keep enough CL in it. The higher the CYA, the more CL is needed to maintain FC levels. You'll hit a point where you end up with a mess.

Liquid CL is the way to fly. :mrgreen:

Read up in Pool School if you haven't already.
Oh and in case you haven't been properly welcomed yet.
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

PS. That's terrible someone stole his SWG cell. GRRRRRR
I can't believe what some people will do. Sad :(

Here is a good thread from this site about the same deal.
scale-on-pebbletec-t14710.html
He needs to lower his Ph with Muriatic acid and keep it low. That will take care of some of it and then hit it with some elbow grease or hire a pro.
Does he have an auto level valve on his pool? It looks like his water level has been all over the place. Keeping the water level at a consitent spot should keep the white lines a little more manageable.

You might want to inite your friend to join this bulletin board because to truly resolve the problem, folks are going to need to ask a lot of questions about cuurent levels from tests performed and you will have a hard time responding unless your standing by the pool ;) But you've gotten a good start on info to read!

Shane1 said:
He needs to lower his Ph with Muriatic acid and keep it low. That will take care of some of it and then hit it with some elbow grease or hire a pro.
Does he have an auto level valve on his pool? It looks like his water level has been all over the place. Keeping the water level at a consitent spot should keep the white lines a little more manageable.

He does have an auto top off for the pool.

superray said:
Shane1 said:
Does he have an auto level valve on his pool? It looks like his water level has been all over the place. Keeping the water level at a consistent spot should keep the white lines a little more manageable.

He does have an auto top off for the pool.

Huh, wonder why he has such a large variance in water levels?

How far from your friend do you live?
You should totally invite him to the board.

Beeeeuuuuaatiful pool though!! :snorkle:

BTW, you should fill out your pool info in the sig and where you're located in your profile.
See this link: Pool Signature & Location

Huh, wonder why he has such a large variance in water levels?

How far from your friend do you live?
You should totally invite him to the board.

Beeeeuuuuaatiful pool though!! :snorkle:

BTW, you should fill out your pool info in the sig and where you're located in your profile.
See this link: Pool Signature & Location

Not sure but he has been traveling with a different job so it's taken him out of town allot more. I have invited him!

superray said:
....I have invited him!

YAAYYYR! More victims. *cough* I mean friends. ;)
Would love to have him, introduce him for us here so those that have been helping in this thread know who he is. In fact, probably best to just have him join this thread, since it has already been so graciously started by you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.