Mt. Airy, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I am a new pool owner this year as I bought a house with a pool in May and am closing for the first time - wish me luck!

The awesome tips in "Closing an Inground Pool" has a tip about closing with the water solidly below 60deg, which I planned on doing. Because of the leaves falling wose and worse, and the weather being what it is, I feel I need to close this weekend with the water around 70deg. I am in Mt. Airy, MD and wonder if anyone follows that part of the advice. I am just curious approximately how late in the year would you have to wait to reach ~60deg water (I know it depends on the weather, size of pool, shade, etc....but just an estimate).

I am having a bunch of trees removed that are way too close to the pool, so next year I could wait a lot longer without having such a mess every day.

Good luck with you close!

I can only comment from reading the article, as it states solidly below 60o due to algae inactivity at that temperature, so I would guestimate that you can:
a) close this weekend by maintaining a good Shock Level, having passed the OCLT
b) shock and cover (semi-close) the pool and then re-shock once the temperature is within the recommended level for closing

Hopefully someone with relevant experience will either confirm or denounce my post shortly!

Regards
Stuart

OK, I am going to have to put the cover on without closing completely and come back to it. I cannot get the lines drained. My pool equip is slightly below the pool, but I thought the plumbing came up and went back down, so that I would not have issues with the main drain. The pool has an attached spa, which is trying to completely drain out through it's main drains......so I dont know how to keep water out of the lines....should there be plugs in the drains for the spa portion?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.