Emergency Pool Closing ...Need suggestions..

roadking00

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok folks, here is my situation,my pool pump motor just died on me....I've kept it open and was hoping to close it once temps really dropped and water temp stayed below 60deg. And here I am, been maintaining all along and now with no pump and I dont plan on rushing around to replace motor at this time of the season so I need to close it now....Have just a few questions below..

1. Is it ok to broadcast my polyquat 60 throughout the pool since no pump to circulate? Maybe premix it in a few 5 gal buckets, broadcast all over or concentrate most in the deep end , or doesnt matter ??

2.So long as I block off the skimmer wall with something and shopvac the water out of it to just get a rubber plug or gismo in is that OK ?? Most people around here do not drop the water level down nor blow the lines out, they say it dont get cold enough ?? Maybe just blow my suction line back to the disassemble pump pad now ??

3.I can blow the lines out later if I decided to and airlock my MD line, the main thing I need to do is get the polyquat in and get it covered right away correct ?

4.I can raise my FC level up by batch dosing it as well ...but do I need to mix it up a bit by a brushing of the walls maybe ??

Any help is MUCH appreciated .....

1. Yes you can broadcast it but be sure to brush it or stir it well with something even if it's a submersible pump.
2. I'd use a gizmo and blow the skimmer line out after you've sealed it off.
3. Yes, you can blow the lines later as long as account for it now.
4. Brus, brush, brush. It needs to be mixed well, however you can do that.

roadking00 said:
Ok folks, here is my situation,my pool pump motor just died on me....I've kept it open and was hoping to close it once temps really dropped and water temp stayed below 60deg. And here I am, been maintaining all along and now with no pump and I dont plan on rushing around to replace motor at this time of the season so I need to close it now....Have just a few questions below..

1. Is it ok to broadcast my polyquat 60 throughout the pool since no pump to circulate? Maybe premix it in a few 5 gal buckets, broadcast all over or concentrate most in the deep end , or doesnt matter ??

2.So long as I block off the skimmer wall with something and shopvac the water out of it to just get a rubber plug or gismo in is that OK ?? Most people around here do not drop the water level down nor blow the lines out, they say it dont get cold enough ?? Maybe just blow my suction line back to the disassemble pump pad now ??

3.I can blow the lines out later if I decided to and airlock my MD line, the main thing I need to do is get the polyquat in and get it covered right away correct ?

4.I can raise my FC level up by batch dosing it as well ...but do I need to mix it up a bit by a brushing of the walls maybe ??

Any help is MUCH appreciated .....

I'm "in" Charlotte (Mint Hill) and plan to close using the Gizzmo method and blowing the lines. You can PM me and we can compare notes or talk on the phone if needed - I'm new to this also. If you aren't too far we can maybe collaborate and commiserate!

I'm "in" Charlotte (Mint Hill) and plan to close using the Gizzmo method and blowing the lines. You can PM me and we can compare notes or talk on the phone if needed - I'm new to this also. If you aren't too far we can maybe collaborate and commiserate!

Thanks for the offer, all is well now..Blew out the suction line from the skimmer and installed the gizmo, added my polyquat 60 mixed it all up for quite a while using my wall brush, then some more sodium Hypo and more mixing as well :) After that it was just a matter of having the wife help me pull the hugely over-sized pool cover that was here when we bought the house back in January (glad there was one here) had the water bags filled and ready to go and the rest is history...I must say though, I thought the tarp and bag thing was going to be a PITA compared to a loop-loc cover that I've used at my past home but to my pleasant surprise it wasnt bad at all (pretty simple actually)

As for my pump pad / filter , all is drained out and pump disassemble ready to go to the motor shop for a rebuild if its not to far gone for that, my plan is to have this one rebuilt if it can and have it as a back up, then look into my options for either a new one (same brand) or an upgraded style ?? We'll see how it goes..At least now I can concentrate on my pump/filter pad redo for next season, and will have the right fittings in place to blow all the lines out easily from the pad :)

Anyhow, if your ever in the area of the Dan Nickolas state park in Rowan County give a shout out and maybe we can meet up sometime, I'll shoot ya a PM with my info and if ya ever need a hand as well give a call. Oh, and if ya need some Sodium Hypo 12.5% for closing I have about 5 gallons (at least) left in my 15 gal barrel thats just going to sit here all winter that you can have if ya need it .....

roadking00 said:
Anyhow, if your ever in the area of the Dan Nickolas state park in Rowan County give a shout out and maybe we can meet up sometime, I'll shoot ya a PM with my info and if ya ever need a hand as well give a call. Oh, and if ya need some Sodium Hypo 12.5% for closing I have about 5 gallons (at least) left in my 15 gal barrel thats just going to sit here all winter that you can have if ya need it .....

I love that Park - haven't been up there in a while. I appreciate the offer of the 12.5% - not sure if I can drive up that way soon enough to help as I would like to close sooner rather than later myself. Too many leaves falling in the pool already!

Where do you get your 12.5% - I can hardly find it at all here in my area.

Most what you are wanting to do sounds fine to me, just some cautionary notes and suggestions. If you are using a cover that is of the tarp or poly type and does not transmit light into the pool, then all you need is to raise the chlorine levels and balance the pH of the pool water; if your cover lets light through, then you will need to add algaecide, one with a copper base is highly effective for killing algae, 0.5 - 1.5 ppm is highly toxic to algae. Whatever chemicals you add to the pool, it is important to mix them well in the water, especially liquid chlorine. If you could rent a pump just to agitate the water and mix the chemicals, it would be worth the money. As for not lowering the water in your pool, if you are ABSOLUTELY sure that the water will not freeze, then go as you have planned. If not, you could still go as you want to, but block off your return and skimmer lines from the pool and fill them with pure RV antifreeze (propylene glycol), will mix with any remaining water in the line and prevent freeze up. Don't worry about getting it into the pool, it is not toxic and won't harm your water.

Good luck and have a great fall and winter!

We never recommend using algaecide with Copper in it ... that could lead to staining of the pool and hair.

Use polyquat if you want to use an algaecide.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.