New #'s

Sep 24, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
As of yesterday, tues., 5/13 this is my readings.
FC- 2
CC -.5
TC - 2.5
PH 7.8 (has held at this for a week)
TA - 130
CYA (didn't check since I am still adding through sock)
salt - (Sat. checked and it still said was at 5.8 (3550) used AquaChek test stripes

My question is this. I am concentrating on getting the CYA up. My SWG says and has for a week now Salt low, however if I understand correctly the test stripes indicate that it is fine. So, should I do anything else right now like add salt or should I just keep concentrating on the CYA only. All this SWG stuff is new to me! I am leaving next week for a week and wont to make sure I get as much done and corrected as possible since I will be leaveing my son in charge of it, (not to confident on his taking accurate readings)

Sondra

swhimsey said:
As of yesterday, tues., 5/13 this is my readings.
FC- 2
CC -.5
TC - 2.5
PH 7.8 (has held at this for a week)
TA - 130
CYA (didn't check since I am still adding through sock)
salt - (Sat. checked and it still said was at 5.8 (3550) used AquaChek test stripes

My question is this. I am concentrating on getting the CYA up. My SWG says and has for a week now Salt low, however if I understand correctly the test stripes indicate that it is fine. So, should I do anything else right now like add salt or should I just keep concentrating on the CYA only. All this SWG stuff is new to me! I am leaving next week for a week and wont to make sure I get as much done and corrected as possible since I will be leaveing my son in charge of it, (not to confident on his taking accurate readings)

Sondra
What is you calcium hardness. It's an important test with a SWG! IF your salt is testing normal but the SWG is saying it's low you cell might have calcium deposits and needs to be acid cleaned as per your instruction manual.

Also, it is less confusing if you do not start a new thread on the same topic but continue with your original thread so we have the history of what you have been doing in attempting to adjust your water.

Probably not. What SWG do you have. If you put the equipment you have in your signature it would be very helpful, include the pump and filter also. You might want to go to a pool store and see what they get for a salt level just as a backup.

swhimsey said:
SWG IntelliChlor Electonic Chlorine Generator, Model IC40, Jacuzzi magnum pump, Sta-Rite Modular De Filtters . I will take a sample to the pool store. Sorry for all the mess ups

STOP IT! THey are NOT mess ups! You are not going to know these things unless someone tells your, right? :goodjob:
It is possible that there is a problem with your Intellechlor or that you are reading the salt strip wrong so get a salt test at the pool store and see if it agrees with the strips or your unit and we can take it from there.

I got my #'s back from the pool store and here they are

FC - 3
TC - 3
PH 8.0
TA - 130
CH - 190
CYA - 19
cooper - 0
iron - 0
salt 3800

She stated that I could quit adding stablizer now for the cya, however am I understanding right, shouldn't it be between 60 & 80? I haven't removed my sock with it in it yet. Also, my SWG is running at 40% she said I should take it down for now until people start swimming in it. Anything else I need to do? Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting CYA to between 60 and 80 is still a good idea. As the CYA level continues to come up it will be easier and easier to maintain your FC level, so you will be able to turn the percentage down, but I wouldn't do that just yet.

It is a good idea to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. At 8.0, your PH is a little high. You should bring that down some.

Have you tried power cycling the SWG? Turning it off and then back on might clear the error light. Another thing to try is a visual inspection of the SWG cell plates. They should look like metal and none of them should be coated with calcium, which is typically white and chalky, though it can be fairly off white sometimes.

This is a different problem now! I've been doing research on here and have done all that has been suggested in regards to staining problems. I had very bad iron stains on the whole pool. I have been through the process of removing those stains and things are looking much better now. However, this is where I'm kinda lost on what to do next. First here are my #'s.
FC -0
CC-0
TC-0
PH 7.0
TA - 120
CH 160
CYA maybe 20
salt - 6.2

I need to start getting things back to normal. My water is cloudy now. So my question is what is the first step. I'm thinking my TA is a bit high if I'm going by what you suggest for SWG's. So do I start first by trying to get that lowered before I start adding bleach again? We cleaned the filter and added new DE yesterday. Checked to cell, things are fine, however it does say it is low again? Not sure why on that. Anyway your help is greatly appreciated.

I will take a test sample in today to the pool store and see what they say on the salt. Also, I did have my CYA at 50 however, my pump developed a leak and I had to keep adding water until the motor was replaced, so I'm sure at that point my cya went down, plus lots of rain water, so after getting new motor for pump, decided to start taking care of stains first.

Algaecide works better as a preventative, and depending on the type you are using, it may CAUSE stains especially if it contains copper.

The best method to kill algae is shocking with liquid chlorine.

I recommend you read the articles in pool school that are related to your pool, like water balance for an SWG and defeating algae, also recommended levels. After you have read those, read the others you may find the information useful.

If you just did an ascorbic acid treatment, you should start adding chlorine, but only add 1 ppm at a time and then give it half an hour or more before adding more. It may take quite a few chlorine additions before you are able to hold a FC level. At the first sign of stains reappearing add some additional sequestrant.

Adding chlorine is more important than any of your other adjustments. You can go ahead and start working on the CYA level at the same time. But don't try to adjust the TA for about two weeks after an ascorbic acid treatment. You don't want the PH going up much at all right now, and lowering TA requires having the PH go up and down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.