Austin, Tx area...please help with PB recommendations

liquidgold

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2012
I'm very happy to have found this site about a year ago and am impressed with the information and "vibe" on this forum...just joined and also became a supporter as thanks for all the useful info I've already gained.

I could really use either recommendations (or warnings) re: pool builders in the Austin area. It is very difficult to find reviews and etc. in this area, and we are ready to get started. It seems that so many build threads have great discussions of the equipment, pics of the build, etc. then someone asks "who is your pool builder" or "may I ask who you used since you are happy?" and the thread just stops!

Please..if you would recommend your PB or know who your neighbors had a good experience with, would you share?

You are so right, and as you might expect the reviews for Cody are mixed (I understand there will always be disgruntled customers and a lot can go wrong with pools.). They will be one of the ones we check out, but I'd love to have a couple of others. Anyone know anything about Oasis? Any and all recs or warnings appreciated!

We are considering building a pool in Austin also. So far, we have talked with Jaida Pools, Athena Pools and Scallon Pools. None of these guys advertise but rely on word of mouth.

We won't be using Scallon because they are out of our budget, but they do very high quality work and only build around 35 pools a year. I think they also have their own crews. A few people I know have used them with no complaints, only compliments. However, all of these people have big budgets.

Jaida - we heard about through a friend that used them. We also had them recommended to us by someone who didn't use them and wishes they had. We have received a bid from them but we have some questions for them.

Athena - Jeff, the owner seems great. Coincidentally, he is friends with the Jaida pools guys and he says he refers work to Jaida when he can't do it. Jeff seems very knowledgeable and by the book. He can answer all of your questions thoroughly.

A number of neighbors are building pools right now and using Anthony Sylvan because "they are experts with impervious cover issues". A couple of neighbors have used Innovations in order to save $5k but they don't recommend them unless you just don't have the budget.

A couple of guys at my office have used Boulder pools with good results including dealing with an impervious cover issue.

That is all I know so far about pool builders in the area. Hope it helps a little.

All information helps at this point, and I thank you very much for taking the time to pass it along! I will check out Athena and Jaida for sure. BTW, about the only one I had found multiple warnings and complaints against was Anthony & Sylvan.

liquidgold said:
I'm very happy to have found this site about a year ago and am impressed with the information and "vibe" on this forum...just joined and also became a supporter as thanks for all the useful info I've already gained.

I could really use either recommendations (or warnings) re: pool builders in the Austin area. It is very difficult to find reviews and etc. in this area, and we are ready to get started. It seems that so many build threads have great discussions of the equipment, pics of the build, etc. then someone asks "who is your pool builder" or "may I ask who you used since you are happy?" and the thread just stops!

Please..if you would recommend your PB or know who your neighbors had a good experience with, would you share?
Please let us know who you chose and anything else you can share about making your selection. I'm in South Austin and considering putting a pool in.

Heads up for anyone looking at Athena Pools, they told me on the phone they start at 55k for non-spa pools and 65k with spa. We agreed there was no point in them coming out to give me an estimate.

I called Athena, Anthony Sylvan, Innovative and Pool Pro. I did go out and visit pools built by all the companies. If you are going to decide by just sitting and looking at prices you are in for a rude awakening. If budget is key for you then go for the cheapest by all means. For me I had a pool built once before by a mass builder and if you choose based on price you will regret it in the end. There are many other factors you need to account for other than cost. You need to know who is going to be watching the construction site. The construction supervisor is the most important person in the entire process to make sure the pool is built well ...and it is not the guy selling the pool to you (the salesman) no matter what he says. Here is my feedback based on visiting the pools they built and talking to them.

Innovative: Design was really a cookie cutter. Poor workmanship with low end materials used in his pools. Decision: No way in my backyard
Anthony Sylvan: Not much better than Innovative. Looking at the equipment pad mix of product you can tell these guys are about taking every dime out of the product they are trying to sell you. I have been down that road before so this was a fast "no way".
Pool Pro: Their design was also very cookie cutter and not really the most exciting. I was much less enthusiastic about them after looking at the quality/finish out. Decided against them.
Athena Pools: The design was thought through well and not at all a cookie cutter design. The finish out, materials he used, and the attention to detail put him well apart from the other guys. To be fair he is not in the same league as the others. As another poster mentioned above his knowledge blew away all the other folks I interviewed with.

After interviewing the 4 companies above I plan on going with Jeff at Athena Pools. For me key was knowing that Jeff was going to be my build supervisor and not some other guy with no other interest in my projeect other than when is it time to go home. Also the materials he wants to use on my project others do not even offer or try to talk to you out of. I saw first-hand why he chooses the material he does after visiting all the guys.

That's great Poolseeker! Tell Jeff that Philip and Rebecca in Circle C say hi! We have postponed building our pool until we see what happens with the economy in the next year, but we really wanted to work with Jeff. Another great thing about him is he totally understood why we wanted to wait and put no pressure on us. He's a good guy. Have fun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good stuff, guys. Thanks!
I'm looking to do a pool at some point soon and am not working with a lot of real estate or free impervious coverage. I've pretty much decided on my design/location and am keeping things simple (I kinda have to given my limits on coverage).
I've spoken to a few companies (ironically, none of the ones listed here) and they either seem to be lacking in the design dept or I'm talking to a sales guy with a bunch of brochures.
I'm curious if anyone talked with Millennium Pools (Blake French)?

Update on our pool build experience with Athena Pools. Jeff completed our project and we are very pleased that we chose him to build our backyard living space.
Jeff was a lot of fun to work with and he really does have a great sense of humor. Every phase of the pool had Jeff involved and if something was not done to his liking out it went. Here is something worth noting: Jeff was the one making the effort to keep in touch with us and not once did we feel like we did not know what was going on. No hidden expenses ...everything was done as promised. He is really good and it was truly a pleasure working with him. Put Athena Pools/Jeff on your list.

Thank you everyone for your recomendations and observations. I'm forwarding a link to this tread to my daughter who lives in Austin and is planning a pool build soon. I'm sure that she will find it of value.

PoolSeeker said:
Update on our pool build experience with Athena Pools. Jeff completed our project and we are very pleased that we chose him to build our backyard living space.
Jeff was a lot of fun to work with and he really does have a great sense of humor. Every phase of the pool had Jeff involved and if something was not done to his liking out it went. Here is something worth noting: Jeff was the one making the effort to keep in touch with us and not once did we feel like we did not know what was going on. No hidden expenses ...everything was done as promised. He is really good and it was truly a pleasure working with him. Put Athena Pools/Jeff on your list.

Any pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.