Extended "Storage" of a ingound fiberglass pool in Florida

Roger

Oct 5, 2012
I am planning to go overseas for 2 years and I need some advise as to how to "de-commission" my pool. I have a inground fiberglass pool in Florida. I dont want to run the pump or add chemicals during my absence. Do I drain it and put a cover over it or what??

Re: Extended "Storage" of a ingound fiberglass pool in Flori

Don't drain it. Heavy rains could cause it to float.

The best thing would be to hire someone to maintain it. If that isn't feasible, a solid safety cover with a drain panel would probably give you the best chance of getting the pool clean when you get back. You'd still want an occasional check of the water level to make sure it doesn't drop too low.

There are probably local or state laws about pools that are not maintained, and you may have trouble with those.

Wow two years. is someone watching the house? maybe they could check on it. what part of Florida, i could house sit a week each month. lol.

Like JohnT said, a solid cover would be good if you don't plan on having someone take care of it while you are gone. I have seen vacant houses with pools of which someone built a framed top to cover the pool. It keeps people and other things out. Of course it will probably be pretty nasty when you do get home and will require cleaning. I've never worked on fiberglass pools so I am not sure if the gel coating would in any way get damaged being unused for long.

Also as mentioned, check for any city/county codes on pool closing and if you live in a deed restricted area, you better check with them as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.