Need Advice, please!

Bruce_Lei

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello, guys!

I hope everyone's been enjoying their pool as much as we have. This is the family's first year having of a pool & everything we know (& trust to be right, that is! :goodjob: ) is from this forum.

We have been enjoying the pool except for the swim jet. The pump our PB put in was not generating enough "resistance" to swim against so my husband could not use it. We currently have a 2HP pump w/ a 2.5 inch diameter plumbing. I am breaking down the PB's plans here & please advise us if these are good ideas or not:

1) He's replacing the 2hp w/ a 5hp & setting down 3-inch plumbing
2) they want to place the pump closer to where the fittings are, which is located at the opposite end of the pool from the controls & main pump; meaning it will be separated from the main pump & close to the pool edge/raised wall --- will this pose a problem w/ controlling it? Will the vibrations it will generate close to that raised wall be a future problem (cracking the raised wall)?
3) he plans on draining the pool so he can replace fittings & returns then have the gunite people come back & redo their stuff -- now this is my biggest concern. Will this not weaken the integrity of the pool itself? I don't want to have leaks & cracks from this.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Lei

It was the hubby that spoke w/ him last so I'm not sure if they are using another brand, but the one we have on now is a hayward 2hp pump. I have been suggesting the Badu swim jet even before they put this one in. If they plan on breaking the pool to put new fittings in. I was actually thinking it will be better to get that Badu in there.

A 2HP Hayward pump for a swim jet is a joke. They obviously have never done this before. Maybe 120 to 140 gpm on a good day. The Badu makes a 5000gpm stream. Can you see the difference.

The Badu sport comes with a special 5hp and uses 4" suction and return for up to 30' away, over that you would go with 6", but best to be as close as possible. (3" isnt going to cut it)

HP and amount of water that it pushes are not all equal.
Some 3 hp pumps will move more water then a 5.

Can be added in a existing pool as it just needs a large round hole in the side of the pool.
I have installed several, they are decent, and the addition of air adds to the resistance.
http://www.poolwarehouse.com/PDF/Badujet-Brochure.pdf

Thanks for the info, Just-a-PB! We did ask our PB before we signed the contract if he's done the swim jets before & he said yes! Grrrrrrr! He came highly recommended by several friends & he's a neighbour to boot!!!

I'll be bringing this info to the hubby this AM & hopefully (fingers-crossed, **sigh***) our PB do it right this time. OMG!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.