help with winterizing new sand filter

Jun 23, 2012
Farmington wv
I got a new 350lb sand filter ( I had a 75lb before) this year. The pool shop said that with the filter being so big I need to take all the sand out of the filter for winter. Is this true? I backwashed the filter and drained the pool down to the return and disconected all the pvc lines and the pump and took them inside for the winter. I set the valve on the filter to winter and took the drain plug off and drained the filter ( this is how I have done the last 19 years with my other filter) Is this good or do I need to take the sand out? Also does it hurt my pool or liner to not to cover the pool for the winter? Thanks for the help.

I think you just have to leave the drain out and as long as there is not water in the system ... you should be fine leaving it where it is.

Trying to remove the sand and move things around just makes breaking the laterals more likely.

BigRedRam95 said:
I got a new 350lb sand filter ( I had a 75lb before) this year. The pool shop said that with the filter being so big I need to take all the sand out of the filter for winter. Is this true? I backwashed the filter and drained the pool down to the return and disconected all the pvc lines and the pump and took them inside for the winter. I set the valve on the filter to winter and took the drain plug off and drained the filter ( this is how I have done the last 19 years with my other filter) Is this good or do I need to take the sand out? Also does it hurt my pool or liner to not to cover the pool for the winter? Thanks for the help.

There is absolutely no reason to take the sand out unless you want to take the filter inside for some obscure reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.