Cost to run an electric heat pump?

May 14, 2008
Looking for a ballpark figure here. I want to keep my pool NICE AND HOT for the kids and such. I just got a nice big electric heater. I live in Michigan

I plan on TRYING OUT the liquid solar cover at night (Normal solar covers I fear are going to be to cumbersome to take on and off every single day).

My question is, what can I expect to pay per month if i Run it 8 hours a day? 12 hours a day? everyday.

Thank you!

Zabulus...sredish is correct about the cost of electric in what area some are twice as high as others. Mine is 6.2 cents per kil. hour. Also sun, humidity and surface area come into play with the heat pump. a good solar cover is a must in the north to keep the heat in up north. My best guess with the solar cover would be at least 50% savings. I would say mine runs about 50.00 a month using a solar cover all the time and a pump timer to keep the heat pump from running in the early morning hours. You are doing the right thing asking all the questions before you buy. Also sizing a heat pump to your pool is very helpful with the electric bill.

Basically my question is, if i run an electric heater 24/7 whats worse case.. 200$ a month? 500$?

The reel and solar cover from what i hear is a HUGE pain, my pool is not a normal shape, has boulders in it etc..

Zabulus said:
Basically my question is, if i run an electric heater 24/7 whats worse case.. 200$ a month? 500$?

The reel and solar cover from what i hear is a HUGE pain, my pool is not a normal shape, has boulders in it etc..

I live in PA and run my heat pump from April into June and my electric bill only goes up about $30 - $50 with the pump running 12 hrs per day. A solar cover is a must to retain the heat. Otherwise the heater would be running a lot more often. Regardless, I wouldn't expect my bill to go up to the $200 - $500 range that you're talking about. Heat pumps are pretty energy efficient.

The other factor you want to consider is the water temp you are trying to maintain. If you open your pool in April or May and try to keep the pool at 80+ degrees, your heater is going to be running all the time. I usually have mine set around 75 degrees to make it bearable for the kids.

My pool is 28,000 gallons.

Basically due to the boulders in the pool and the unique shape a solar cover will be very hard.

Not to mention the pain of putting it on every night and taking it off..

I figure i'll run it May - Sept\Oct.

That is another question, how hot is hot? 80 degrees? What is considered Warm? Not bearable but Warm, really comfortable?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we just got our pump about a month ago...so I can't tell you about the bill yet (and we are new to ohio).

Our pool is pretty big 20 x 40 about 32000gals so, I got the biggest Jandy model. When we started it up in April it did take about 5 days to finally reach the set/maintain temp of 81.

we are in Ohio so the temps have been pretty cool in 60s but, on the nice days we have had (70s) the kiddos were able to swim in the nice warm water (pump set to 81/82 but, with solar cover it brings it up to 85/86 range). I only hear the pump running in the morning to now maintain the set temp. we love the heat pump and its total worth it for the midwest area .

Chris

If you won't use a solar cover you might try those rings that float on the pool surface - they are not as good as a cover but much much better than the liquid stuff. You really are just wasting money on the liquid stuff for an outdoor pool - it does not work due to wind.

Those solar rings i heard are terrible to inflate, store and clean :(

I really want to avoid the huge solar cover issue because we'll be in and out so much. I am still looking for worse case.. but I guess i'll find out since I open and start heating my pool in about a week.

Another question..

Is it better to heat your pool at night or not heat it? Assuming its pretty cold out??

My Dang heater thinks the water temp is 171 degrees and i cant figure out why so it refuses to heat

ah ok thank you..

I have it set for 7am, not quite warm, but at least it will start to get the job done. I got the water to 80 degrees today..

What is the temp that most people heat their pool to?

I have my heat pump set to maintain heat to 82 but, normally it reaches 85 or 86 by the afternoon w/ the solar cover (we are in OH so its still pretty cool here)

chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.