Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost to run an electric heat pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost to run an electric heat pump?

Looking for a ballpark figure here. I want to keep my pool NICE AND HOT for the kids and such. I just got a nice big electric heater. I live in Michigan

I plan on TRYING OUT the liquid solar cover at night (Normal solar covers I fear are going to be to cumbersome to take on and off every single day).

My question is, what can I expect to pay per month if i Run it 8 hours a day? 12 hours a day? everyday.

Thank you!
    DrDave
    http://plansbyjorde.tripod.com
    Necessity is the Mother of Invention

2. Back To Top    #2

only people local to you can answer that as electric rates can vary A LOT.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Zabulus...sredish is correct about the cost of electric in what area some are twice as high as others. Mine is 6.2 cents per kil. hour. Also sun, humidity and surface area come into play with the heat pump. a good solar cover is a must in the north to keep the heat in up north. My best guess with the solar cover would be at least 50% savings. I would say mine runs about 50.00 a month using a solar cover all the time and a pump timer to keep the heat pump from running in the early morning hours. You are doing the right thing asking all the questions before you buy. Also sizing a heat pump to your pool is very helpful with the electric bill.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

4. Back To Top    #4
    Zab - AquaCal has a program I used when researching my heat pump - it will take all the variables that people have discussed and spell everything out for you... here's the link:

http://www.aquacal.com/heat-pump-inf...ool-audit.html
    21' Round (12k Gallons) AG
    Strong Pools Colosseum Riser 56", 1 hp Sand filter, 10'x12' Composite Deck,
    Auquacal Aerotemp Heat Pump, Also: Sundance Cameo Spa
    See my pool build thread here: Katkami's Pool Build - With time lapse video!

5. Back To Top    #5

Get a regular solar cover and a reel - the liquid stuff does minimal compared to a real one.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Basically my question is, if i run an electric heater 24/7 whats worse case.. 200$ a month? 500$?

The reel and solar cover from what i hear is a HUGE pain, my pool is not a normal shape, has boulders in it etc..
    DrDave

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    How many gallons in your pool. ?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabulus
    Basically my question is, if i run an electric heater 24/7 whats worse case.. 200$ a month? 500$?

The reel and solar cover from what i hear is a HUGE pain, my pool is not a normal shape, has boulders in it etc..
    I live in PA and run my heat pump from April into June and my electric bill only goes up about $30 - $50 with the pump running 12 hrs per day. A solar cover is a must to retain the heat. Otherwise the heater would be running a lot more often. Regardless, I wouldn't expect my bill to go up to the $200 - $500 range that you're talking about. Heat pumps are pretty energy efficient.

The other factor you want to consider is the water temp you are trying to maintain. If you open your pool in April or May and try to keep the pool at 80+ degrees, your heater is going to be running all the time. I usually have mine set around 75 degrees to make it bearable for the kids.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

9. Back To Top    #9
    My pool is 28,000 gallons.

Basically due to the boulders in the pool and the unique shape a solar cover will be very hard.

Not to mention the pain of putting it on every night and taking it off..

I figure i'll run it May - Sept\Oct.

That is another question, how hot is hot? 80 degrees? What is considered Warm? Not bearable but Warm, really comfortable?
    DrDave

10. Back To Top    #10
    The ideal comfort water temperature varies somewhat from person to person and also depends on you activity level. 86 degrees is a good starting point.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11
    I am in MN were we are always cold. 85+ is a pretty popular pool temp around here.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

12. Back To Top    #12
    Z, I have no idea about your elec costs, but some info from one of our members may help you with the solar cover issue. Try AnnaK's link to 'customizing' a solar cover that ONE person can handle! Hope this helps!

See it here: http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

we just got our pump about a month ago...so I can't tell you about the bill yet (and we are new to ohio).

Our pool is pretty big 20 x 40 about 32000gals so, I got the biggest Jandy model. When we started it up in April it did take about 5 days to finally reach the set/maintain temp of 81.

we are in Ohio so the temps have been pretty cool in 60s but, on the nice days we have had (70s) the kiddos were able to swim in the nice warm water (pump set to 81/82 but, with solar cover it brings it up to 85/86 range). I only hear the pump running in the morning to now maintain the set temp. we love the heat pump and its total worth it for the midwest area .

Chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

14. Back To Top    #14

If you won't use a solar cover you might try those rings that float on the pool surface - they are not as good as a cover but much much better than the liquid stuff. You really are just wasting money on the liquid stuff for an outdoor pool - it does not work due to wind.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

15. Back To Top    #15
    Those solar rings i heard are terrible to inflate, store and clean

I really want to avoid the huge solar cover issue because we'll be in and out so much. I am still looking for worse case.. but I guess i'll find out since I open and start heating my pool in about a week.
    DrDave

16. Back To Top    #16
    We ditched the rings... We now have new solar cover with a reel. It's really not too difficult to work with and the heat savings are worth it.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

17. Back To Top    #17
    Another question..

Is it better to heat your pool at night or not heat it? Assuming its pretty cold out??

My **** heater thinks the water temp is 171 degrees and i cant figure out why so it refuses to heat
    DrDave

18. Back To Top    #18
    With a heat pump it is best to heat the pool during the day. Heat pumps are more efficient when the air temperature is higher.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19
    ah ok thank you..

I have it set for 7am, not quite warm, but at least it will start to get the job done. I got the water to 80 degrees today..

What is the temp that most people heat their pool to?
    DrDave

20. Back To Top    #20

I have my heat pump set to maintain heat to 82 but, normally it reaches 85 or 86 by the afternoon w/ the solar cover (we are in OH so its still pretty cool here)

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast