Middle Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Getting ready to order pool equipment and still somewhat in the dark about what we need to control the features of our pool. We only have the pool and a waterfall. We will be using the variable speed pump for both; however, my question is to how many actuators we need in order to do this effectively. We want to be able to run the waterfall independently of the pool and vice-versa. Also, we will have a pressure side pool cleaner. We will be using the Easy Touch to program all of this but not sure we understand completely how the actuators work. Also, with this set-up, the question of which valves to use.

We want to put as much as possible on automation with wireless controller so please help us to understand how to effectively do this.

Thanks so much to all you experienced pool owners!

So you just have a single pump right?
What valves to you currently have?

I would think you just need 1 actuator on a 3-way valve to the water fall.
And 1 actuator on a 3-way to the pressure cleaner.

But it kind of depends on how your plumbing is done ... add a picture or 3.

jblizzle said:
So you just have a single pump right?
What valves to you currently have?

I would think you just need 1 actuator on a 3-way valve to the water fall.
And 1 actuator on a 3-way to the pressure cleaner.

But it kind of depends on how your plumbing is done ... add a picture or 3.

This is a new construction so no pics. It is a single pump. Since I am in the process of learning how all of this equipment works and I am still not exactly sure how the process of actuators and valves work, I am not sure if I can acurately explain what I am trying to accomplish. If I have a dedicated line for the pressure cleaner, then when I program that to come on, would it then stop the other returns? The pump would then adjust to the pressure needed just for that function instead of trying to circulate water and clean at the same time, correct? I will have a total of 4 returns with one of them dedicated to the pressure cleaner - unless I needed 1 more just for the pressure cleaner.

Thanks!

Assuming you are getting a cleaner that does not require a booster pump, That is one way to work it. When the cleaner comes on an actuator would turn a 3-way valve to divert all flow to the cleaner and adjust flow rate as required.

Or, you could leave the pump at a higher speed, have the actuator not turn the 3-way valve all the way so only a portion of the flow would go to the cleaner (would take some tweaking to get the amount of valve turn and the pump speed figured out to give the cleaner adequate flow) and the rest could then still flow out the regular returns or the water fall.

The waterfall would then likely be on another actuated 3-way valve downstream of the cleaner valve.

I recommend you try to sketch out a plan for your equipment pad and post it up for recommendations. There are some examples in other threads if you get lucky with the right search terms.

EDIT: One example ... yours need not be as fancy:
where-to-install-swg-on-pool-spa-combo-schematic-included-t48320.html

jblizzle said:
Assuming you are getting a cleaner that does not require a booster pump, That is one way to work it. When the cleaner comes on an actuator would turn a 3-way valve to divert all flow to the cleaner and adjust flow rate as required.

Or, you could leave the pump at a higher speed, have the actuator not turn the 3-way valve all the way so only a portion of the flow would go to the cleaner (would take some tweaking to get the amount of valve turn and the pump speed figured out to give the cleaner adequate flow) and the rest could then still flow out the regular returns or the water fall.

The waterfall would then likely be on another actuated 3-way valve downstream of the cleaner valve.

I recommend you try to sketch out a plan for your equipment pad and post it up for recommendations. There are some examples in other threads if you get lucky with the right search terms.

EDIT: One example ... yours need not be as fancy:
where-to-install-swg-on-pool-spa-combo-schematic-included-t48320.html

Great, thanks. Helps to understand it better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.