Pump Pressure down to 1 after vacuuming pool.

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
My pump pressure is normally about 15. I vacuumed the pool an now it is down to about 1. I guess something got clogged up. What should I do?

Normally when I vacuum I just leave the pump on filter, and then backwash after. This time I set the pump to waste. Also, I removed the basket at the pump, which may have been a mistake. I thought that would let the waste go right through to the exhaust, but maybe that was a mistake and is what clogged up the system.

To have low pressure you either have one of the pipes clogged before the filter, or you have packed the impeller full of junk by not having the pump basket in.

Pull the motor off and check the impeller.

Your impeller is clogged.
Not meant to be a garbage disposal.

I should have asked here before I removed the basket. It seemed logical from what I had read about waste water. Anyway, live and learn. Now I need to fix it.

Pull the motor off and check the impeller.

I have a pool guy who can help me do that, or I can try it on my own if it is not too hard. I am not very handy, but I like to try new things. Am I likely to break anything? Are there good instructions online somewhere that show my step by step exactly how to do this?

My pool guy came by. He didn't even remove the pump, but just pulled out the basket and stuck his finger in the hole to the pump and cleaned out all the leaves that way. We turned on the pump and the pressure was back to 10. We then removed 4 bolts, pulled off the motor and cleaned the impeller ports with a paper clip, put the motor back on and and then the pressure went back to 13. That is the normal pressure after backwashing.

The interesting thing is that with a hayward pump, you can clean the impeller pretty well with your finger without even removing the motor.

TomAtlanta said:
The interesting thing is that with a hayward pump, you can clean the impeller pretty well with your finger without even removing the motor.
Not just Hayward but most pumps are that way. There are two places where a clog can occur:

1. The inlet which you can remove through the pump basket.

2. The impeller vanes which you must remove the wet end to get to but you don't need to remove the impeller from the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.