pool pump impeller housing needs a replacement

michmike

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
Houston, TX, USA
hi all,

my pool pump impeller housing is leaking water and I need to replace it. i was wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on where i should get one of these? would leslies or pool warehouse offer good prices?

btw, i think i caused this leak some time ago when i overtightened one of the bolts and i might have broken the threads..thus the leak

i am attaching 3 pictures here.
-first is the model of my pump
-second is a picture with an arrow where my leak is
-third is the manufacturer label for the impeller housing (not very clear i know)

Attachments

• TempAttach.jpg
    TempAttach.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 164
  • TempAttach1.jpg
    TempAttach1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 160
  • TempAttach2.jpg
    TempAttach2.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 159
Unless you can actually see the cracks, those leak locations could be due to the gaskets and seals. A seal kit may be all you need.

If you stripped a thread, then you might be able to fix the thread by re-tapping the hole and putting in a thread insert.

Water doesnt flow through that part, it cant really leak on top, that water must be coming from somewhere else.
Probably need a new shaft seal, and seal plate gasket.
The stripped thread issue is another issue all by itself. Once you get it apart you can better know what needs to be done to fix it.
Here is a parts break out, with some pricing.
http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_pentair_pac_fab_hydropump.aspx

ok guys, I think I need a little bit more help. I opened the housing today, and the leak is about 1.5 inches to the right, right underneath the location where the tube goes upwards.

a thread insert would not work since it would be hard to file the plastic and put an insert in.

I am also attaching a picture of the inside of the housing. I don't see where a seal would go. the only thing inside there is an O-ring. should it have had a seal as well?

Attachments

• TempAttach.jpg
    TempAttach.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 109
Did you look at the drawing that PB posted? The seal is on the motor shaft next to the impeller, call out #19.

A seal kit will have the o-ring, seal and any gaskets the pump might have. But if the housing is cracked, then a seal kit won't help.

Also, you don't file anything for an insert. You would drill out the hole, tap the hole and then put in the insert. Like this:

http://www.repairengineering.com/helicoil.html

ok I replaced part 19, the shaft seal, but water is still leaking from the same place (basically 1.5 inches to the right of the location indicated in the picture). Do I need to replace the entire volute reinforced plastic? http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352028452.htm

is it even worth it at this point, given its $180 cost, or I should get a new pump? I saw some brand new pumps that might fit my cramped up space and old piping.

Hayward Super 2 Pump, 1.5 H.P at $389 [buy.com] - 1hp for 315 [americanbestpoolsupply]
Pentair Whisperflo Energy Efficient 1hp at $410 [bestbuypoolsupply] --> this might not be the full rated version
Pentair 1hp SuperFlo Pump at $295 [ezpools, bestbuypoolsupply]

It depends on where the leak is located. If it is leaking where the volute connects to the seal bracket, then it is probably the gasket or the bolt you stripped. Have you fixed the threads yet?

If you would rather just replace the pump, then given the size of your pool, the Superflo 1 HP would probably be your best bet and it is at a good price point. Just make sure you get a two speed.

But just a FYI, 11 hours is way to long to run any pump unless you are cleaning up after a storm or running on low speed. Normal operation should not require that much run time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks mas985!
What would the two speed pump give me over single speed? I usually run my pump around 6hrs in the winter, but with the super hot weather in the summer and my SWG, I needed close to 10 hrs in the summer to maintain the pool clean.

I did not fix the threads yet. I need to go get the helicoil [however the leak is nowhere near the bolt I stripped - I stripped the bottom right bolt]

yes the leak is exactly where the volute connects to the seal bracket. by gasket you mean part #16?

Any chance the multi port valve is at fault?

Prior to replacing the seal, it would only leak water on filter mode. On recirculate the pressure was less and with no leaks. Now after I replaced the ceramic seal, it leaks from the same place on both recirculate and filter modes

What would the two speed pump give me over single speed?
Lower energy costs and better filtering.

I usually run my pump around 6hrs in the winter, but with the super hot weather in the summer and my SWG, I needed close to 10 hrs in the summer to maintain the pool clean.
I don't understand why this would be the case. Your SWG is sized appropriately for your pool so again, you shouldn't need that much run time. Exactly what is occurring that makes you think you need that much run time?

yes the leak is exactly where the volute connects to the seal bracket. by gasket you mean part #16?
Yes. But did you get a seal kit or just the seal when you replaced the seal. All of the o-rings/gaskets should have come in the seal kit allowing you to replace everything.

Any chance the multi port valve is at fault?
At fault for what? It wouldn't cause the pump to leak.

Pool warehouse told me the multipart valve might be next in line in terms of the next part that needs replacement and might be responsible for this leak. I asked you guys because I could not comprehend how that could be contributing to this issue. [he said it might be building up pressure - I did not believe him]. Yes I got the seal kit and they replaced it for me (I could not see what they did since the pool warehouse guys went in the back to do the work) including the ceramic seal and the o-ring.

thanks for the info on the new pump.

As for the number of hours I run my pump, it was just my previous pool guy's recommendation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.