Used pool deal - 30k gal-ish.

y_not

Jul 24, 2012
Redmond, OR
I couldn't help but post this, not that I can afford it, nor go get it and haul it.

But figured I'd throw this up here to chat about.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/for/3271900186.html

The ad on CL, for when it gets taken down.
Ad text as follows...

21 x 41 doughboy pool. Has been set up and used for approximately 10 years. Needs new liner. Pool light in wall. Automatic Tiger Shark vacuum system. Pump, filter, salt generator and propane heater. Solar cover and reel. Deck ladder. Telescopic pole with brush and net attachments. Misc. chemicals.
Dis-assembly by You in 2 days time. Equipment can be sold separately.

Pool equip: $1500
Heater is a Sta Rite Max E Therm 400K propane.
Filter is Sta Rite System 3
Pump is Hayward Tri Star variable speed with control box
Aqua Chem electronic chlorine generator with extra turbo cell

5Ia5K95H83mb3Me3J4c9ee38f511b72201b6d.jpg

5N95E95Kf3L43Mf3Ndc9e1ea90aaa108e185b.jpg

5Ia5Lc5J13Kd3I73M5c9e54a0e8f8f90a1218.jpg

5Ed5Ka5F33L63N73Hbc9e3d2e8fa0072215d3.jpg

5I65N35Mc3G33M23N4c9e8b056c4416101b40.jpg

I was curious as to what the unit to the right of the sand filter was. It's in the 3rd picture down.
Is that the heater?

Also, my aunt had this exact same unit, the other one on the left, the filter. It was clearly a sand filter, it had a vertical multiport valve on it with a big plunger that you twisted and pulled up or down to go from backwash, to rinse, ro run. It was ultra critical that you not actuate that plunger while the pump was running.

Well, I noticed in the Visual Encyclopedia in Pool School, that the picture for this is listed as a "Cartridge Filter". Surely that is a mistake, no?
Here's the image from the PS Vis. Enc.
WATERWORT-CartFilter.jpg

Christian said:
Haha, heck of a job taking it down and setting it back up! Pretty decent equipment though. If it's all in good shape $1500 is a pretty good price.

Do you think it could be taken down in 2 days, as their ad specifies?
Wouldn't the deck have to be ripped out to get at the side supports?

Will a 10yr old AGP like that be in good enough shape to use, being that it's in an EXTREMELY wet climate. Moss, mold, mildew ville. It's a rainforest there, that's the classification of climate.
But ooooh so beautiful!!! Think No-Cal on the coast in the forest and there you have it just about.
Averages almost 50" rain/yr. More than Seattle, WA or Portland, OR.
I'd say about 30's/50's on avg. in winter, from coldest to warmest during the coldest winter months, Nov-Feb. Minus record lows/highs.
Not much frost and little to no snow beyond a skiff once per season.

Also, they say it needs a new liner.
Do they only last about 10yrs, even if properly maintained?
Aside from that, I know they can fail due to neglect, accidents and a whole myriad of problems.

How much would a new liner cost for a pool like that?

I wouldn't even attempt to take it down in two days. It would take a day just to figure out what all had to be done just to begin taking it down. And if you did it where you'd have a chance of putting it back up, it'd take a day just to take the wall down and roll it up without dmamging it.

y_not said:
I was curious as to what the unit to the right of the sand filter was. It's in the 3rd picture down.
Is that the heater?

Also, my aunt had this exact same unit, the other one on the left, the filter. It was clearly a sand filter, it had a vertical multiport valve on it with a big plunger that you twisted and pulled up or down to go from backwash, to rinse, ro run. It was ultra critical that you not actuate that plunger while the pump was running.

Well, I noticed in the Visual Encyclopedia in Pool School, that the picture for this is listed as a "Cartridge Filter". Surely that is a mistake, no?
Here's the image from the PS Vis. Enc.
WATERWORT-CartFilter.jpg
Sta-Rite System 3, there's a sand filter, cartridge, and DE.

And it's buried with a dug out center, so either buttresses buried or supports buried under liner? A liner that old can't be salvaged, it has gotten to stiff to stretch back in after it has dryed out. Sounds like the owners might know that and are being honest about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
I wouldn't even attempt to take it down in two days. It would take a day just to figure out what all had to be done just to begin taking it down. And if you did it where you'd have a chance of putting it back up, it'd take a day just to take the wall down and roll it up without damaging it.

Yeah, it looks like a total nightmare if you ask me!!
Two days seemed a little ***** to me, typical CL whininess. LOL
You'd probably need a flat bed to haul all of that, huh?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.