liquidator advice

Apr 21, 2008
Ok, I installed the 8 gallon model on Sunday
I have a 22000 gal IG sand filter,I am using 6% bleach. My CYA is 60

On start up I added 4 bottles of 3/4 gallon bleach, so basically I added 3 gallons of bleach

My intital FC was 12 on Sunday from manual bleach addition, liquidator setting of 1
Monday eve FC dropped to 9, So I bumped the liquidator to 2 for the setting
Tuesday eve FC dropped to 7 so I bumped the liquidator setting to 3.
This am my FC was at 6, so I bumped the Liquidator up to 3.5

My questions are:
Should I have added the full 8 gallons of bleach in the beginning, does the liquidator send out a stronger concentration with more bleach in there?

I tested the water on the suction side and it had a high concentration of chlorine so I know theres chlroine on the side where it goes into the suction side.

Any insights?

It does put out a bit more chlorine when it is full, but it shouldn't be too much lower when it is half full.

Your pump run time also comes into play here. The longer you run your pump the more chlorine you will be putting into the pool.

Mike,

It sounds to me like you've got algae in the pool. Are you capable of testing for CC's? If not, you need to shcok the pool and get your FC up to 25+ and hold it there for a couple of days. That should get rid of the algae and you FC will most likely stay steady or start to increase.

You should lose little to no Chlorine overnight. To test I would shut off the Liquidator flow completely in the evening. Test the water at night after the Liquidator has been shut off for at least 1/2 hour. Test again in the AM before light. If it is lower than nightly reading than something is eating the CL.

Killin me :twisted: :evil:
I just fought off a green pool!
My water is clear, sparkling clear.
I will test for CC tonight,
I though losing 1 ppm FC was acceptable?

As stated below, the Monday and Tuesday testing was done 24 hours apart . I tested the water last night and it was 7 and this am it was 6. So I am 1 ppm difference. So is something eating my chlorine or my liquidator not working right?

Help?

"My intital FC was 12 on Sunday from manual bleach addition, liquidator setting of 1
Monday eve FC dropped to 9, So I bumped the liquidator to 2 for the setting
Tuesday eve FC dropped to 7 so I bumped the liquidator setting to 3.

This am my FC was at 6, so I bumped the Liquidator up to 3.5

I would expect the Liquidator to maintain the FC level more easily than what you describe given that the pump is running 24/7, the gauge reading 3 or higher ,and CYA at 60. So I understand where duraleigh is coming from when he suggests algae. A low level algae infestation could account for your results, or it might be something completely different that we haven't thought of yet.

The test keithw suggests is a simple way to test for algae. His test requires turning the Liquidator off overnight and testing in the evening and again first thing in the morning. The readings you have taken so far are under very different conditions and don't prove or disprove the possibility of algae.

Update
I came home tonight and did my usual checks.

FC is now 9. I guess bumping up the liquidator to 3.5 helped. Hopefully I am ok.

I can see the yellow bottom diminishing so looks like the bleach is going in the pool. I have very clear water.

Thanks to all who gave their insight!

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be careful not to spike the delivery of chlorine from the Liquidator. There are so many variables that impact the chlorine and its delivery. To understand this better, I have been doing almost daily observations and testing. I ran my pump for 24hrs a day for 7 day right after I installed the Liquidator. I tested the water each day at the same time, making adjustments as needed. I have spiked the FC a number of times by just increasing the flow by one line on the flow meter. Slow go is the best method. Once you get the flow right for a 24hr operation then scale it back to run whatever the time you normally do. Keep testing the water daily and making small adjustments. It's really helpful to keep a detail log as well.

One has to keep in mind that the Liquidator is not a precise delivery vessel. There will be swings in the delivery. The amount of chlorine in the pool will swing due to all the known methods which will affect FC.

agree.
I test daily, just nice to know I am adding chlorine hourly, more consistent.

I am pretty compulsive about checking daily. I have a feeling 3.5 is too high so I will check again tonight.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.