Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: liquidator advice

1. Back To Top    #1

liquidator advice

Ok, I installed the 8 gallon model on Sunday
    I have a 22000 gal IG sand filter,I am using 6% bleach. My CYA is 60

On start up I added 4 bottles of 3/4 gallon bleach, so basically I added 3 gallons of bleach

My intital FC was 12 on Sunday from manual bleach addition, liquidator setting of 1
    Monday eve FC dropped to 9, So I bumped the liquidator to 2 for the setting
    Tuesday eve FC dropped to 7 so I bumped the liquidator setting to 3.
    This am my FC was at 6, so I bumped the Liquidator up to 3.5

My questions are:
    Should I have added the full 8 gallons of bleach in the beginning, does the liquidator send out a stronger concentration with more bleach in there?

I tested the water on the suction side and it had a high concentration of chlorine so I know theres chlroine on the side where it goes into the suction side.

Any insights?
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    It does put out a bit more chlorine when it is full, but it shouldn't be too much lower when it is half full.

Your pump run time also comes into play here. The longer you run your pump the more chlorine you will be putting into the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    I am running my pump 24/7
    Shouldnt I see the FC stay the same or maybe rise?
    I am afraid I will have to go back to adding chlrine manually if it keeps dropping
    Mike
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Mike,

It sounds to me like you've got algae in the pool. Are you capable of testing for CC's? If not, you need to shcok the pool and get your FC up to 25+ and hold it there for a couple of days. That should get rid of the algae and you FC will most likely stay steady or start to increase.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You should lose little to no Chlorine overnight. To test I would shut off the Liquidator flow completely in the evening. Test the water at night after the Liquidator has been shut off for at least 1/2 hour. Test again in the AM before light. If it is lower than nightly reading than something is eating the CL.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

6. Back To Top    #6
    Killin me
    I just fought off a green pool!
    My water is clear, sparkling clear.
    I will test for CC tonight,
    I though losing 1 ppm FC was acceptable?

As stated below, the Monday and Tuesday testing was done 24 hours apart . I tested the water last night and it was 7 and this am it was 6. So I am 1 ppm difference. So is something eating my chlorine or my liquidator not working right?

Help?

"My intital FC was 12 on Sunday from manual bleach addition, liquidator setting of 1
    Monday eve FC dropped to 9, So I bumped the liquidator to 2 for the setting
    Tuesday eve FC dropped to 7 so I bumped the liquidator setting to 3.

This am my FC was at 6, so I bumped the Liquidator up to 3.5
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

7. Back To Top    #7
    I would expect the Liquidator to maintain the FC level more easily than what you describe given that the pump is running 24/7, the gauge reading 3 or higher ,and CYA at 60. So I understand where duraleigh is coming from when he suggests algae. A low level algae infestation could account for your results, or it might be something completely different that we haven't thought of yet.

The test keithw suggests is a simple way to test for algae. His test requires turning the Liquidator off overnight and testing in the evening and again first thing in the morning. The readings you have taken so far are under very different conditions and don't prove or disprove the possibility of algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8
    Sounds good,
    I can shut the liquidator off, test the FC and retest in the am.

If the FC loss is 1 or less I should be ok?

Mike
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemedic
    If the FC loss is 1 or less I should be ok?
    I would hope for a loss of 0.5 or lower. A loss of 1 is ambiguous, it might mean algae and it might not. A loss of more than 1 means algae.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Update
    I came home tonight and did my usual checks.

FC is now 9. I guess bumping up the liquidator to 3.5 helped. Hopefully I am ok.

I can see the yellow bottom diminishing so looks like the bleach is going in the pool. I have very clear water.

Thanks to all who gave their insight!

Mike
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Be careful not to spike the delivery of chlorine from the Liquidator. There are so many variables that impact the chlorine and its delivery. To understand this better, I have been doing almost daily observations and testing. I ran my pump for 24hrs a day for 7 day right after I installed the Liquidator. I tested the water each day at the same time, making adjustments as needed. I have spiked the FC a number of times by just increasing the flow by one line on the flow meter. Slow go is the best method. Once you get the flow right for a 24hr operation then scale it back to run whatever the time you normally do. Keep testing the water daily and making small adjustments. It's really helpful to keep a detail log as well.

One has to keep in mind that the Liquidator is not a precise delivery vessel. There will be swings in the delivery. The amount of chlorine in the pool will swing due to all the known methods which will affect FC.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

12. Back To Top    #12
    agree.
    I test daily, just nice to know I am adding chlorine hourly, more consistent.

I am pretty compulsive about checking daily. I have a feeling 3.5 is too high so I will check again tonight.

Mike
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons