Ice rink in an Intex -- would it work?

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
My backyard has a giant cement slab that houses the Intex from June to October and then when I take the Intex down the slab reverts to an all-purpose court for wheeled and ball activities. I have been trying to figure out how to make use of the space in the heart of winter, and would like to set up an ice rink. BUT, my kids can't really skate very well and would make use of a rail/board/wall like at roller skating rinks . . . so, what do any of you think of this idea:

Buy a used Intex frame-style pool off craigslist and set it up mid-winter. Fill it with 10 inches or so of water and let it freeze. Cut a flap of the Intex to allow entry/exit and have the walls act as the rail/board/wall the kids can use to help them keep their balance as they learn. I was originally looking for a 30" pool so the top of the rail was the right height to hold - but a) they are hard to find; b) they are small in diameter; c) I fear the metal top rail would be frigid and not really a good aide.

So now I'm thinking buy an 18' x 48" pool and just let them use the wall itself for balance - that way they are touching vinyl not metal. (my kids are 6 and are about 48" in height).

I figure right above the height of the ice will get punctured by skate toes, so I thought fill it to 10" year one, 8" year two, and so on.

Anyone see major issues with this plan?? If I can find a pool for $150 or so, it seems like it is worth the risk to try it. But if you guys see an obvious issue, you could save me the money and effort if this is a loser from the word go.

FWIW, I have found lots of cheap, relatively easy ways to create a rink with wood and a tarp - what I haven't been able to figure out is an easy way to create a temporary rail/board/wall for balance with that sort of plan - so open to any ideas on that as well.

Oh, and Happy Swimming to those of you lucky enough to still be enjoying a pool and not prepping for Winter!

I see it folding up with a section missing.

Build rails out of PCV pipe. Get some vinyl baseboard molding, or lawn edging, something like that, and set it up and freeze it in place with some water. Then anchor the stanchions in by screwing them to the molding, or drilling through and laying anchor bolts on the ice. Then fill it up and let it freeze.

'course, what do I know? I went swimming today in 80 degree naturally heated water. I think I saw frost once last year....

I agree - errant skate cuts, or a fall and that wall is gone

I don't know what your budget is, but they sell side walls here.

http://www.inyowinter.com/backyard_ice_ ... plies.aspx

I have never used those products, I happend upon that site from a link on a pool supply company a few months back.

-dave

^yes, just give them a chair or a pylon to push around -- that's how they teach kids to skate anyway - boards are just a hazard and you won't get the form right to control your center of gravity holding a wall.

The reason I found this thread is because I was trying to find out about those in ground conversion kits -- link-a-rink, I think they were called. Has anyone ever done a successful in ground conversion?

There's a Canadian co that does portable pool rinks with chillers and pipes, but it's a super hefty investment. I'd heard of these linking panels that were comparatively a few thousand. If anyone's had any experience, good or bad, with winter temporary conversions, please let me know!

if your concrete slab is a square put 2x6 along the edges and allow a 1 inch lip, hold the wood in place with screws re-bar stakes and maybe a ratchet strap around the entire perimeter, Caulk the joint between the slab and the wood and fill with water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.