Gfcb/gfci breaker question.

kyle11

May 17, 2012
I just ran some uf-b wire for 2 lights 10 foot from the pool. As I read code these do not need a gfcb but I am putting one on it. I wired it up to a regular breaker this weekend to make sure it worked and it did. Covered the trench and it worked fine. After 3 days of rain today I went to connect it to a gfcb and it trips instantly. It just wired it to the pool light gfcb as it does not draw a while lot of amps and I need the other slots. It does not trip when the perimeter lights are not connected. Is there anyway to tell what is causing it to trip? Also it is wired to a relay in the aqua logic. Just hope I am not gonna have to dig all this wire back up as it is about 80 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not certain if this is relevant, but:

Are you connecting both black and white to the breaker or just the black?

I had the panel open and decided that adding an outlet and lights would be quick and easy - and there was a 15 amp breaker with only two (underwater) lights to run.
I tapped the black, but used the white bus. Everything was fine - until I ran any current through it (a 60 watt bulb would trip it).

I was informed of the take both or neither rule by another msg board.

Does it trip if you disconnect the lights? That will tell you if its the wire or the lights.

I have had issues with a miswired gfci. If the neutral and ground is switched or bonded past the breaker it will trip. The neutral needs to connect to the breaker, not to the bus.

Hope this helps.

First, If a gfci is needed or not would also depend on the depth at which you buried the cable.

Are you running the "white" neutral through the gfci breaker as well?
If not that is your issue.
Otherwise:
My guess would be moisture in the fixture, or j-box. It doesnt take much.
What kind of lights did you run, how did you splice and run from one to the next.

You know the more I think about it I think I connected the 14/2 neutral to the neutral bar Like a regular breaker. I bet that's it. I will check when I get home. Thanks for your help.

That was it. Don't know why I didn't hook the neutral to the breaker. Brain fart I guess. I installed 3 other gfci breakers fine. Probably because I had it hooked to a regular breaker before and just switched the black wire over. Thanks for the help everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.