LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We suffered a major crack in our Fiberglass pool last night .. about a 5 ft. crack. Called a Fiberglass Pool repair company and they will repair the crack tomorrow morning. I am in the process of draining the pool to below the crack (just leaving water in deep end).

After the repair, I will of course start the refill ... what is the BEST method for rebalancing the chemicals?

- Do I wait until the pool is FULL before starting to re-add things?
- Should I just put several gals of Bleach in at the start?
- Stabilizer/Conditioner ??
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda ?

ugh ... I hate going thru this; my figures were pretty spot on until this and it was going to be unusable in another 2-3 weeks anyway ...

HELP .. (thanks !!)

Re: Emergency partial Drain, Repair, & Refill - how to rebal

You can just keep some bleach in the water and brush well to mix it.
Then after you fill it back up and have it circulating, do a full set of tests to find out what you have to adjust.

You will likely have to add some stabilizer. Either acid or borax to adjust pH. Only need baking soda if your TA is low (rare). And of course keep some chlorine in it.

What is the underlying cause of the crack? With the leak does that cause concern over backfill missing / washed away?

- Sent using Tapatalk

As the owner of a fiberglass pool I'm very interested in hearing how this occurred and what the repair consisted of? How did you know where to find a fiberglass repair company? Can you share the costs and details?

There is Gunite behind the Fiberglass.. It is not one of those Fiberglass "units" that was hoisted in as 1 piece, but rather it was a Fiberglass resurfacing over Gunite. (I hope that makes sense - at least that's what the guy told me). He also told me that when they had the Fiberglass job done (many years ago) that there were no metal bar reinforcements behind it. (something about pins or something) Anyway, I have no idea WHY the crack occurred - initially I was thinking we had an earthquake. But I saw nothing on the Earthquake GEO site in the 12-16 hours from the night before. So that only leaves "settling" of some sort or the ground just shifting. I'll try to get some pics today of the actual repair process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.