Lets hear your pool critter stories.

I don't have a story, but I fished this little guy out a couple of weeks ago

DSC02054.jpg

We just put in an IG pool and the first morning after we had water I found a baby bunny. Not a great start. We have a ton of wildlife, so I'm sure I'll find more.

We also have a small pond, so I'm hoping the frogs, leaches, snakes, etc that visit will stay out of the big cement pond.

John

midtngal said:
Okay...being a new pool owner it's too early for a story from me but let me tell you...the day I find one of those "little guys" in my pool....just start digging the hole! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I know about rattlesnakes because they are indeginous to where I grew up and I ran across them on occassion. Now snakes around Houston, I'm not too knowledgeable about. I thought it was a copperhead but I was wrong. Too bad for the snake I didn't find this out until after I cut his head off with a shovel. RIP snake.

tagprod said:
I know about rattlesnakes because they are indeginous to where I grew up and I ran across them on occassion. Now snakes around Houston, I'm not too knowledgeable about. I thought it was a copperhead but I was wrong. Too bad for the snake I didn't find this out until after I cut his head off with a shovel. RIP snake.

Tagprod, I see you live in Tomball and I'll tell you this, if you haven't dealt with a copperhead yet, you will. I used to work in the ER of a hospital around there and in the late spring to early summer, would would see a copperhead bite in the ER almost nightly. Here are some of the commonalities in the victims:

1. bitten usually between 8:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
2. rarely saw the snake
3. usually barefoot
4. bitten while walking through the grass along the side of the house or flowerbed
5. usually while turning off or moving the sprinkler

Of all the venomous snakes in Texas, copperheads are among the most benign. Most adult patients will spend a few hours in the ER getting IV pain medicine and nausea medicine. Rarely, they will be admitted. I never once had to give antivenin to an adult for a copperhead bite. Usually end up going home with prescriptions for nausea and pain meds, an antibiotic, and a freshly updated tetanus vaccination status. Kids however, are a different case and usually end up getting admitted. They get sicker quicker.

My advice for you down there in Tomball is to clean out those skimmers in the daytime when you can see and don't ever stick your hand anywhere that you can't fully visualize. And wear shoes. Lots of times, if the patient had simply been wearing shoes, things would have turned out differently

The only kind of good snake is a DEAD one! OFF WITH THERE HEADS :x You guys are freakin me out! I hate snakes. I will have to wait for hubby to come home cuz I'm NOT gonna fish one of those out of my pool.

Where I grew up at in Indiana, we had water moccasins, especially around the Wabash river where we used to fish (duh! Water moccasin around a river..who woulda thunk it, right?). One day we're fishing, and I see my uncle (by marriage) and his brother go flying down to the river. Being the curious kid I am, I had to run down right behind them. My uncle had a water moccasin by the tail, with his boot on it about midway up it's body. I sat there and watched that snake bite my uncle's boot about 4 times before his brother finally lopped it's head off. I'll never forget it - kind of like living an episode of "Wild Kingdom".. :lol: Uncle was fine, his boots were good and thick. If you're wondering why they went after the snake like that, there were about 15 or 20 of us fishing that day, and most of us were kids, scattered up and down the bank.

I had my pond drained down to a few inches (6 ish) while cleaning. Came home from work on Tuesday to find a squirrel that couldn't get out, quite dead. It must have been a ground squirrel, I didn't recognize as a typical black or red one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have had all kinds of critters. Frogs, moles, mice, spiders(DW's favorites), and worms. However, the most interesting was a Scarlet King Snake. He was in the skimmer basket with some pine straw. I almost grabbed him. It really freaked me out! These little guys look very similar to a Coral Snake which are quite fiesty. Coral Snakes have a habit of gnawing on you rather than just biting and going away. Now I lift the lids and pull the baskets with a long brass hook.

257WbyMag said:
tagprod said:

Tagprod, I see you live in Tomball and I'll tell you this, if you haven't dealt with a copperhead yet, you will. I used to work in the ER of a hospital around there and in the late spring to early summer, would would see a copperhead bite in the ER almost nightly. Here are some of the commonalities in the victims:

1. bitten usually between 8:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
2. rarely saw the snake
3. usually barefoot
4. bitten while walking through the grass along the side of the house or flowerbed
5. usually while turning off or moving the sprinkler

Of all the venomous snakes in Texas, copperheads are among the most benign. Most adult patients will spend a few hours in the ER getting IV pain medicine and nausea medicine. Rarely, they will be admitted. I never once had to give antivenin to an adult for a copperhead bite. Usually end up going home with prescriptions for nausea and pain meds, an antibiotic, and a freshly updated tetanus vaccination status. Kids however, are a different case and usually end up getting admitted. They get sicker quicker.

My advice for you down there in Tomball is to clean out those skimmers in the daytime when you can see and don't ever stick your hand anywhere that you can't fully visualize. And wear shoes. Lots of times, if the patient had simply been wearing shoes, things would have turned out differently

cool - thanks for the tips. I didn't realize they were far less venemous than rattlers. I'm always very careful when I clean the skimmers. The barefoot part - I will continue to live dangerously.

Last week I went to clean out the bag on the Polaris because it looked excessively full. As I began to unzip it I see the very long tail then the body of a big fat dead rat. I about lost it. DH was out of town, my next door neighbor wasn't home, so it was up to me to empty it. The tail on the dang thing was a foot long. I am a city girl who has moved to a lake and with the ducks laying eggs in my flower beds and the dang water mocassin that my son killed yesterday I am ready to flee!

Attachments

• IMG03322-20130615-1659.jpg
    IMG03322-20130615-1659.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 17
Well, I now have a submission. Went outside Saturday morning to try out my new poolbuster and was greeted by a dead bird floating in the pool.

I promptly went to get DH to fish him out since I don't do dead things. I get the creeps just thinking about it. Ewww.

Well. my first critter just happened last night. Was leaning against the pool talking to the hubby, trailing my hands in the water and pulling out leaves, etc, that passed my hands in the dark. Well, one of the leaves I grabbed was soft and roundish - ergh - a dead baby bird. I think it must've blown out of a nest during the rainstorm we had yesterday.

The DW and I put our steps in this past week, and was quite surprised to find three carpenter bees come floating up to the surface from underneath the steps! Only thing I could figure is maybe they were up in the handles. Anyways, three bees were dispatched to bee heaven.

We have gotten the obvious bugs, frogs and worms and occasionally a baby bunny or mouse.

The strangest we had was a baby doe. My wife was leaving for work and scared the poor little thing in the driveway. In an attempt to get away from her, the doe ran right up onto our deck where I was. Seeing me she turned and headed straight for the pool. Luckily we have steps and managed to shoo her towards the steps with the vacuum and net. Unfortunately getting her out of the fence was another story…after repeatedly bashing her head into the slats she finally fit through and ended up with a nice cut on her head, but ran off seemingly unphased.

Last summer I decided to be "cool mom". It was a long day at work, and the kids were restless. Dad cleaned up supper and mom jumped in the deep end with her work clothes on. The girls and I swam for about twenty minutes, because the clothes were weighing me down. So we decide to get out by the steps. And lo and behold about a 4 foot black snake was swimming around the steps!!! AAAAHHHHH!!

My youngest screamed bloody murder, and I calmly told her that it was just a harmless snake who does so much good for our enviroment blah, blah, blah. I instructed the seven year old to go get her father. As soon as he came out I melted.... 'GET THAT THING OUT OF THE POOL IMMEDIATELY!"

The girls never knew I freaked, but my husband still holds it over my head :)

I take a quick peak in the skimmer and around the pool every time now because my husband told me when I had similar experience...

"There is enough water in the pool for you and a little snake to swim together.. y'all work it out!!"

(Meaning he didn't want to get the little critter out either)
:lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.