Draining below returns. Then fill backup or not?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Every year I make sure my water is balanced prior to closing. I also drain the water below the returns, blow them out and plug them. After that I always refill the water level to a few inches below the skimmer, which basically means adding another 8" of water or so.

I refill it because the pool guy that taught me how to close said i needed the extra water in there I guess for weight. My question, is....why balance the water and than refill with water that is potentially unbalanced? It seems like taking a step backwards.

Thinkly said:
I just happened to think, "I wonder if the reason I am supposed to fill it back up is to give the loop loc mesh cover more support when loaded with snow?" Is this a good reason to refill to below skimmer?

This is true. Also fiberglass pools are more susceptible to ground movement and freeze damage.

As said above, blow the pool underwater from a gizmo in the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.