mustard algae(?) nuisance

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am noticing a recurring instance of what may be mustard algae even though my water is balanced, FC is appropriate for CYA, etc. I haven't noticed a particularly higher FC demand, but this yellow substance keeps coming back. Always in the same spot...deep end, the shaded wall. It does brush off, but requires more effort than I would think for algae. I have raised FC to mustard shock level and held it there until OCLT passed. Wonder what's going on here? Maybe it is not even algae?

Sounds like a perfect description of mustard algae. I would maintain FC about 30% higher than suggested for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Cooler water temps will help, too. Possibly redirect eyeballs on returns to increase circulation in that area.

duraleigh said:
Sounds like a perfect description of mustard algae. I would maintain FC about 30% higher than suggested for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Cooler water temps will help, too. Possibly redirect eyeballs on returns to increase circulation in that area.
Thanks for that. I think I will wait for cold temps before I hit it hard. Puzzling thing to me is that OCLT passes every time I check it and there is no persistent high FC demand. Furthermore, I have brought to shock level and held it for several days more than once. Each time I was convinced I had beaten it, but it keeps coming back accumulating very slowly. I have read stories here about others fighting mustard algae but I always wondered if they were exaggerating.

That's what I get I guess for sub par maintenance this year. Have not stayed on top of it as in year's past. :whip:

If you have passed OCLT, assuming the shock process makes your unwanted guests go away, then I would run at a higher FC level. Run at mustard level, not shock, but the recommended level to maintain if you have a problem with mustard algae.

Remember to dose higher than you need, the number below is your absolute minimum. Never, ever go below, lest your pool join the dark side again. ;)

For 60ppm CYA Mustard FC level is 9.0ppm.

Run it at that, no need to shock ATM since you passed OCLT multiple times, then keep her brushed and see what happens.

So long as it isn't coming from under a ladder or a light fixture, or some pipe, something somewhere, then you should be OK. But you won't know for sure till you try that.

y_not said:
If you have passed OCLT, assuming the shock process makes your unwanted guests go away, then I would run at a higher FC level. Run at mustard level, not shock, but the recommended level to maintain if you have a problem with mustard algae.

Remember to dose higher than you need, the number below is your absolute minimum. Never, ever go below, lest your pool join the dark side again. ;)

For 60ppm CYA Mustard FC level is 9.0ppm.

Run it at that, no need to shock ATM since you passed OCLT multiple times, then keep her brushed and see what happens.

So long as it isn't coming from under a ladder or a light fixture, or some pipe, something somewhere, then you should be OK. But you won't know for sure till you try that.
Sensible advice. I'll try to get a handle on it over the fall/winter as I don't really close the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.