First time Pool owner -New pool- What Chemicals??

Oct 1, 2012
Hello, I just got a new pool, a 27x54 round, above ground pool and I was wondering, after the pool is filled up, what chemicals will it need at the very beginning? I live in FL so I should be able to swim in it for about another month or so, but then I will be covering it. Should I just put a couple of gallons of chlorine intially? Or should I also put shock in it also? This is my first pool, so this is all new to me and I have a few different people (friends) all giving me different advice! :?
Any input would be greatly appreciated! :-D

Shock is a process, although pool stores will tell you it's a product.

I suggest starting with Pool School at the top right corner of this page. :)

But just chlorine (bleach) is a good place to start. You need to get some test numbers up so we know what you are starting with.

shannonelaine1120 said:
Hello, I just got a new pool, a 27x54 round, above ground pool and I was wondering, after the pool is filled up, what chemicals will it need at the very beginning? I live in FL so I should be able to swim in it for about another month or so, but then I will be covering it. Should I just put a couple of gallons of chlorine intially? Or should I also put shock in it also? This is my first pool, so this is all new to me and I have a few different people (friends) all giving me different advice! :?
Any input would be greatly appreciated! :-D

Pool School is a great resource - start here:
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

While your pool may not be temporary - you have a very short time to get it up to speed so this may help.

Congratulations on getting your new pool, living in Florida, I am sure you will get lots of use out of it. I live in Southern Canada my pool got lots of use this summer. I have currently a 15-foot round above ground pool and previously owned an 18 foot above ground round pool. My pool season runs from May to the end of September. To keep my water in excellent shape and soft I do the following. I run my pump around 6 hours a day, it is a Hayward Turbo Flow pump, 1.5 force. For sterilizing my water, I use liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite, which is readily available where I live) and dilute muriatic acid to maintain my pH 2.2 - 7.6; the by product of both is salt which keeps my water soft. I add stabilizer (cyanuric acid) to 75% of what is recommended, boosting it during mid season and make a one time addition of a copper based algecide. The results is no algae and very clean water that does not smell of chlorine. I would recommend at the minimum to get a good test kit that measures pH and chlorine so you can monitor both free and total chlorine, test strips also tend to work well.

For pool covers, I use a solar blanket during the season to heat the water and prevent evaporation, but I never leave it on the pool for too long. For winterizing, I put a water tight and light impermeable cover which I secure with rope around the pool. Prior to winterizing, I just raise the chlorine levels a little. In the spring, my pool looks as good as it did at the end of the season.

I love my above ground pool and would not trade it for anything, I am sure you will feel the same way about yours; hope that my tips help.

Just a note that we NEVER recommend the use of copper based algaecides. Adding metals to the water can just lead to staining of the pool and hair.

By maintaining the appropriate level of FC for your CYA level, you will never need algaecide or to "shock" your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.