Help me convince my husband

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I live in Wilmington, DE, and this weekend I checked the temperature of my pool water - still 78 degrees. Way too warm to close the pool. We've never had a pool before, and this is our first season. My husband is getting antsy, and things we should close the pool. He just told me today that "I know several people at work who have closed their pools already." He doesn't want falling leaves to get in it - even though it is my job to clean them out, and I said so. Or, what if we get an early snowstorm like last year? Just like a rainstorm I say. But he is adamant that we should be closing it because other people are. I've tried to explain to him that if the water is too warm algae could become a problem, but he just isn't hearing it. Can anyone offer me any advice here? I'm the one who takes care of the pool, given my microbiology and chemistry background, but he doesn't want to acquiesce to my expertise on this one. Help!

Thanks,

Kelley

If the pool is your responsibility ... tell him to stop sticking his nose in your business. ;)

You have the right idea. Do you have your pool covered? Yesterday mine was only 77 degrees before I finally got the solar panels running. Maybe the evaporative cooling in AZ is more efficient :)

arvven said:
When all else fails, I offer my husband to take the job if he can do better..lol

I really like that, being a guy that makes me put on the brakes, stop.... think.... and assess the situation and realize where I may be wrong and admit/own up to it and release control.
*There's a little psychology for ya'. ;)

Can I ask what his response was when you explained to him the issue with algae growth?
Remember that us guys are fixers, even when we know ABSOLUTELY JACK NOTHING about the situation, we'll want to try and "fix it". It's just in our nature, we have to learn to hone that down and fine tune it, to use it for our advantage and others, instead of being a nuisance. It's a lifelong process for some, easier for others.

So try explaining it to him logically, make him a part of it, guys are SUPER VISUAL!! We love to see things in action, we get all excited!!! :)
So go out to the pool with him and lovingly, nicely, explain to him how algae grows and under what conditions, explain the water temp issue and explain to him the method of pool management you're using and nearly 50k+ people all across the globe and in the US are also using and why it's sooo much better than the way most people do it, the "Pool Store Way".
Tell him what'll happen if you do get an algae outbreak once that pump goes off and the conditions develop for optimal algae growth. What you'll be faced /w in the spring. UGH!
Don't make it too geeky, unless he's a geek too, especially if he's really not interested in it. Try to make it interesting, but not like a kindergarten teacher, lol. Involve him and just explain it in simple terms, find a way to make him a part of it if you can.
Try to catch him in the right mood too, that's true with anyone, male or female. If our mind is elsewhere, or something else is bothering us, or we're all hot under the collar, then we really won't listen to much of anything. It'll all just be BLAH BLAH BLAH! Irritating. HAHA

Hopefully that helps some.
If not. Just drug him until it's time to close the pool, hire the neighbor or a good friend to go to work for him, then wake him up when it's all over. Naaahhh, just kidding. :hammer:

Good luck to ya'. :goodjob:

Just-a-PB said:
I know its getting cold.
I think it got down to 103 today. :p
Sorry I read all this closing pools stuff, and just cannot relate.

I am allergic to the cold anyway, so it is best I stay here.

LOL, does the cold make you sneeze, break out in hives, hair fall out, abdominal pain, restriction of breathing????? :p

It gets down to about 36-45F here at night, but still up in the low to mid 80's during the day.
Water staying at a cool 60-69F.

Make him a deal: sure he can close it now to be just like everyone else. Then HE can open it, and for every day the pool is not clear, owes you $100 bucks ;)
That way you get to watch him clear it, and have some fun money to take a spring vacation while he wrestles with algae.
I predict it will be the last time he tells you to close it early ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's really fairly simple - as a guy, when my wife wants the responsibility for something, and I don't agree with something she has made a decision with, we discuss each others reasons for our opinions/positions. If I can't get her to my point ov view, it's HER call. SHE then either takes the credit, or deals with the fallout from a bad decision... period.

Remind him that it is YOUR call. You've discussed it, and you will manage it.

Just-a-PB said:
I know its getting cold.
I think it got down to 103 today. :p
Sorry I read all this closing pools stuff, and just cannot relate.

I am allergic to the cold anyway, so it is best I stay here.
Down to 103? I was thinking with the OP that I wish my pool was up to 78 most of the summer, lol. Our pool hasn't been up to 78 since halfway through July.

Just-a-PB said:
LOL, does the cold make you sneeze, break out in hives, hair fall out, abdominal pain, restriction of breathing?????
:oops:

Well, two out of the three anyway. I break out in hives, and have restriction of breathing.
Swimming in the cold stuff could kill me.
This is what I have.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_urticaria

WOW!!! That's really rough.
I'm glad you have found relief in AZ though. :)

I'm sorry if my smart remarks offended you in any way. I had no idea that condition even existed. I thought you were just being facetious.
So I was playing along, cause I can't resist. :p

LOL, no worries, I always get that reaction when I mention it.

Really no big deal. Freaked my parents out first time we noticed it, around 8 years old, jumped in the cold pool early, came out covered in hives, they had no idea what it was.
Didnt find out what it was till I was twenty. Mom was working in a teaching hospital, had some residents check it out.

Doesnt bother me much here, unless I go up north and go skiing.

Sorry, non of this has anything to do with closing a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.