Where to find Palapa Fasteners

Mike_W

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Orange County, California
I am rebuilding a large palapa over an outdoor bar/kitchen. The palapa has a large (about 10" diameter) vertical center post with 2" poles radiating out from the top of the center post to support the thatch. It is basically nailed together. I would like to make it stronger and use better fasteners. While in Hawaii, I saw palapas at the resorts that were held together with round metal brackets that slipped over the 2" poles and fastened to the center pole. The brackets were essentially short pieces of thin walled tubing with slightly larger than 2" inner diameter and an angled piece at the end to attach to the main pole. I have been unable to find anything like these available commercially (in fact, I don't even know what to call them). Anyone know where I might get these brackets? I may end up at the local muffler shop to get them custom made.
Thanks,
Mike_W

They kind of sound that something that would be used to attach wood cross pieces to metal fence posts. Have you tried looking in fencing areas of stores or talked to a fence company.

Simpson Strong Tie makes a lot of parts like that.

THIS is what I had in my head, maybe that is not quite right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.