Advice Needed - New Project - Bid Specs included.

Sep 30, 2012
Hello All,

New member! I live in Southern CA, near Moorpark. I am in the process of building a house on about an acre. The land has quite a bit of slope and also some flat pad. I have a budget of about $175,000 at most for full landscaping, including pool, outdoor cooking area etc. I am getting a bid right now from Scott Cohen, of Greenscene landscape, and I would like to bounce it off you fine folks when he actually does give me the bid. This would be a one stop shop so to speak and he would be doing all of it.

The guy I mentioned above charged me $1500 to do a rough plan/design concept. But this is for the two courtyards, the pool, the slopes, the landscaping, the lightning plan, front yard, cooking area etc.

In about two weeks he will give me a proposal based on that design. I do not own the design though, if I wanted to take that design to get it bid on by various folks it would be an additional $4,400.

My current thought was to wait to see what he comes up with, then come here and post the various line item elements with cost.

Also, while I would not be able to take the plans, I would get an idea in my head to discuss with other builders if this guys prices are too high.

Any other suggestions or recommendations are welcome!

Look forward to all the help from you fine people!

***************EDIT************************* BID SPECS:

Ok, so finally got the bid I mentioned. It is about $75,000 over budget ($240,000) but it does seem to be a pretty spectacular build. I unfortunately can't post pics because the contract stipulates such. I however can get advice on the costs. I do agree that piece of mind for having an expert is worthwhile. Also, the fact that the builder is a "celebrity" might help with future home value? (Maybe?)

Keep in mind that a lot of this work is being done on a 5/1 slope.

Ok on to the specs:

Rear Hardscape: $61,880
- 1900 sqf of patio and paths in colored/stamped concrete with decorative stamped finish with up to two release colors. Installed using sand base, re-bar, etc.
-Travertine Paver Patios (Install Only - owner already purchased) - 1160 SQF
-Steps - Gold Travertine Paver Steps on concrete base - 57 linear ft
-Retaining Walls:
----------18" tall planter walls constructed of cinderblock, with stucco veneer and cast concrete cap. up to 83 Linear ft
----------3' Retaining Walls at Pool Constructed of cinderblock, with stucco veneer and cap. 97 linear ft
----------Bench Wall at fire-trough constructed of cinderblock, with stucco veneer and cast concrete seat. Includes backrest. 35 linear ft
----------Pilaster- Construct new 30" by 30" square SEAT HEIGHT tall pilaster of cinderblock with stucco finish and cast concrete cap.
-Stepping Pads - install 2'x2' cast concrete colored stepping pads - 412 SQF
-pool equipment walls constructed of conderblock with stucco veneer and cap. 5' tall by up to 35 linear ft
-Pool equipment pad of natural grey concrete 85 sqf.

Fire Trough: $5,050 - Construct new 10' long by 3.5 wide fire-trough (outside measurements) of cinderblock with stucco veneer and cast concrete cap. Fill with sand base with 3" of crushed lava rock. Includes manual valve and key

Split Level BBQ with Serving Counter $9,250
Construct new 36" high by 17 linear feet BBQ of cinderblock with stucco veneer and cast in place colored concrete mantle edge top. Includes Polished glass hand seeded top in both levels. Includes approx 22 linfet long 42" high split level counter with 10" cantilever. Includes installation of owner supplied BBQ, storage and other appliances.

THE POOL & SPA! $87,500
-Custom Gunite Pool/Spa with Baja Shelf x 2 and rear walls retaining
- 38'x18' (673SQF if water) with approx 8'x10' inside spa.
-Spa includes deep well with 6 jets on separate pump
-Pool depth 3.5ft to 8ft
-excavation included
-steel included
-Plumbing: 2.5inch suction line and 1.5 inch discharge line to three return lines in the pool. 1.5 dedicated suction line for pool sweep
install 2.5 inch spa suction line and 2.0 discharge line
-includes installing gas lines etc
Electrical: install electric Conduit from the main panel to the equipment pad including sub panel, circulation pump, spa booster pump, air blower, pool and spa lights.

Equipment:
1 skimmer
1 Jandy or Pentair 60 sq ft D. E. pool filter
1 Jandy or Pentair Variable 2 speed pump
1 Jandy Spa Booster Pump
1 400,000 BTU Heater
1 air blower pumps
Solar pool cover
Two pool and one spa Jandy LED color changing lights on remote panel
Dell Ozone Total Ozonator

Pool Hard Materials:
Gunite (standard no shotcrete)
-includes quartz chips added to plaster mix
-Coping: Gold Travertine Paver coping - 128 linear feet + 39' stone grab rail along raised bond beam
-Spa Counter- Form and poor concrete counter on spa wall. 15 linear feet. Color to match BBQ counter
-Built in tiled table with post in smaller baja shelf
-Spa lounger seat leading from outside of spa wall to pool. Includes waterproofing and 100% tile facade using 1"x"1 tile
-Waterproofing included
-Tile included at up to $8sqf allowance. Tile waterline of pool in & out, rear retaining wall full tile. Step trim tile on baja steps and spa benches. Full tile top of spa wall.
-includes hydro static relief valve.

There is quite a bit more in terms of landscaping, sprinkers, patio cover, a side arbor and misc permit fees gas line, electric etc. Those fees all seem pretty standard based on my research here. Curious to see what you fine folks thing about the stuff I have put so far though.

I suspect I am paying anywhere from $25,000 - $50,000 more than I what I could get if i bid it out, but this is the bid from a very well known builder, does not cut corners, and is a custom one of a kind design.

looking forward to feedback/suggestions etc.

This is a big project, on about an acre of land and comes in at a total of about $240,000

----------

Re: Advice Needed - New Pool Including Landscape/Outdoor coo

:wave: Welcome!

There are several elaborate BEAUTIFUL pools being built in your area. At the bottom of this page there is a "search for" box. Type in California, or CA or Riverside, or ?? and see what pops up. Get some good referrals here. I know Scott builds a nice pool, but it doesn't hurt to look around - unless you are related. :shock: In that case, pay the man. :-D

Haha, if I was related, I am sure it would cost less! If the prices he quotes are fair, I definitely will go with him. There is no doubting his skill!

All in all, Ive, you have to feel confident in your builder. That's HUGE! NO one has time for stress and 2nd guessing. It's just nice to know Scott is "in the ballpark." Know what I'm sayin'?

Have you got an idea of what you want?

I'm going to MIA for a while - Spa is ready!

I want something that is somewhat Tuscan/Roman in nature. Clean lines, elegant. However, I want it to be fun for the kids too. I am thinking of a buried tube slide. I have a 5/1 slope i want to take advantage of as well. Some kind of sitting area at the top of the slope, the access to the slide somewhat near. A covered cooking area etc. Hard to describe really! Part of my problem really when meeting with the various pool builders. I agree though about seeing if he is in the Ballpark. We will just see! Some things he was mentioning seemed quite high, (IE: 70K for the slide alone)

I know that sounds high for a slide, but if it is custom made.. maybe it's in line. I saw one custom slide on this forum a while back where the custom slide curved around trees in the yard... They lived in a real wooded area - it was beautiful. In their case it was a more rustic look, to fit in with the surroundings. But I think they paid ALOT for their slide. What material would yours be made out of?

It doesn't matter, I am hoping for a tube slide that would be mostly covered by ground etc. I found one from summit slides for around 12-15k

Ok, so finally got the bid I mentioned. It is about $75,000 over budget ($240,000) but it does seem to be a pretty spectacular build. I unfortunately can't post pics because the contract stipulates such. I however can get advice on the costs. I do agree that piece of mind for having an expert is worthwhile. Also, the fact that the builder is a "celebrity" might help with future home value? (Maybe?)

Keep in mind that a lot of this work is being done on a 5/1 slope.

Ok on to the specs:

Rear Hardscape: $61,880
- 1900 sqf of patio and paths in colored/stamped concrete with decorative stamped finish with up to two release colors. Installed using sand base, re-bar, etc.
-Travertine Paver Patios (Install Only - owner already purchased) - 1160 SQF
-Steps - Gold Travertine Paver Steps on concrete base - 57 linear ft
-Retaining Walls:
----------18" tall planter walls constructed of cinderblock, with stucco veneer and cast concrete cap. up to 83 Linear ft
----------3' Retaining Walls at Pool Constructed of cinderblock, with stucco veneer and cap. 97 linear ft
----------Bench Wall at fire-trough constructed of cinderblock, with stucco veneer and cast concrete seat. Includes backrest. 35 linear ft
----------Pilaster- Construct new 30" by 30" square SEAT HEIGHT tall pilaster of cinderblock with stucco finish and cast concrete cap.
-Stepping Pads - install 2'x2' cast concrete colored stepping pads - 412 SQF
-pool equipment walls constructed of conderblock with stucco veneer and cap. 5' tall by up to 35 linear ft
-Pool equipment pad of natural grey concrete 85 sqf.

Fire Trough: $5,050 - Construct new 10' long by 3.5 wide fire-trough (outside measurements) of cinderblock with stucco veneer and cast concrete cap. Fill with sand base with 3" of crushed lava rock. Includes manual valve and key

Split Level BBQ with Serving Counter $9,250
Construct new 36" high by 17 linear feet BBQ of cinderblock with stucco veneer and cast in place colored concrete mantle edge top. Includes Polished glass hand seeded top in both levels. Includes approx 22 linfet long 42" high split level counter with 10" cantilever. Includes installation of owner supplied BBQ, storage and other appliances.

THE POOL & SPA! $87,500
-Custom Gunite Pool/Spa with Baja Shelf x 2 and rear walls retaining
- 38'x18' (673SQF if water) with approx 8'x10' inside spa.
-Spa includes deep well with 6 jets on separate pump
-Pool depth 3.5ft to 8ft
-excavation included
-steel included
-Plumbing: 2.5inch suction line and 1.5 inch discharge line to three return lines in the pool. 1.5 dedicated suction line for pool sweep
install 2.5 inch spa suction line and 2.0 discharge line
-includes installing gas lines etc
Electrical: install electric Conduit from the main panel to the equipment pad including sub panel, circulation pump, spa booster pump, air blower, pool and spa lights.

Equipment:
1 skimmer
1 Jandy or Pentair 60 sq ft D. E. pool filter
1 Jandy or Pentair Variable 2 speed pump
1 Jandy Spa Booster Pump
1 400,000 BTU Heater
1 air blower pumps
Solar pool cover
Two pool and one spa Jandy LED color changing lights on remote panel
Dell Ozone Total Ozonator

Pool Hard Materials:
Gunite (standard no shotcrete)
-includes quartz chips added to plaster mix
-Coping: Gold Travertine Paver coping - 128 linear feet + 39' stone grab rail along raised bond beam
-Spa Counter- Form and poor concrete counter on spa wall. 15 linear feet. Color to match BBQ counter
-Built in tiled table with post in smaller baja shelf
-Spa lounger seat leading from outside of spa wall to pool. Includes waterproofing and 100% tile facade using 1"x"1 tile
-Waterproofing included
-Tile included at up to $8sqf allowance. Tile waterline of pool in & out, rear retaining wall full tile. Step trim tile on baja steps and spa benches. Full tile top of spa wall.
-includes hydro static relief valve.

There is quite a bit more in terms of landscaping, sprinkers, patio cover, a side arbor and misc permit fees gas line, electric etc. Those fees all seem pretty standard based on my research here. Curious to see what you fine folks thing about the stuff I have put so far though.

I suspect I am paying anywhere from $25,000 - $50,000 more than I what I could get if i bid it out, but this is the bid from a very well known builder, does not cut corners, and is a custom one of a kind design.

looking forward to feedback/suggestions etc.

This is a big project, on about an acre of land and comes in at a total of about $240,000

----------

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.