New to TFP - INSTALLTION disaster :(

Oct 1, 2012
I recently purchashed a 27x54 above groun, round pool. We have 2 friends that assured us they could help us install it as they have previously installed several above ground pools. Long story short, one thing after another went wrong during the installation. After a day and a half of working, we have the pool up but it is not level. Should we take it down and start all over? We have about 5 inches of water in it. Also, I think we may have made a mistake from the very beginning: we covered the entire pool area in sand and istalled the pool on top of the sand (from what I can see from instruction videos, it looks like we should have only put sand in the center area of the pool area?? idk)....
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

It has to be level within 1". If it's out more than that you need to take it down and fix it.

You were right putting the sand under the entire area within the wall and it also makes the cove if you're not using foam cove.

I think the track is supposed to be on solid flat ground (and/or have pavers under legs, etc). The most important part of the install is getting a flat firm surface. This means not adding dirt to raise the low side. Always determine the lowest point of firm ground and lower everything else to match that.

If you are more than 1" out of level, I think you need to pull it down and start with a firm base (not on sand which can and will wash out).

PLEASE! Don't settle for these people saying it's okay! They can not see the damage from their house if the walls buckle and you're swimming in the house or yard, instead of the pool. Take it down and do it right or hire someone else to help you. That's a whole lot of water that you don't want to be messing around with on an unlevel surface. Do the right thing and take it down and relevel the site. I know it's a pain but you'll be happy you did it. :goodjob:

Thank you all for the information! I very much appreciate it! We have the pool in the ground approx 14 inches. So with it being somewhat in the ground, would the sand still wash away? We have decided to take it down and start over ughh :-/ With our work schedule we are not able to to take it down until Friday afternoon/Saturday and then we will have someone with more knowledge come in and re-install. Will it be ok to leave the pool just sitting there until Saturday?? Like I said it only has a few inches of water in it, but the walls do not look straight, they look almost like they are wavy?? Is that going to hurt anything to leave it until Saturday? Thanks again!

You did the right thing, your pool was installed very wrong and was not safe. Since you referred to bottom rails I assume you have a steel walled pool and not a soft sided pool, correct?
The bottom rails need to be on undisturbed soil - not sand, the upright posts need to be on cement pavers that are set into the ground and level with the surrounding ground
The entire site needs to be level within 1", you need something to aid you in that - you cannot get a site level using the human eye, anyone who says they can is a liar. At minimum you need a 4' level taped to a straight 2X6 and then rotate that many times around your site levelling as you go. And don't believe that your site was already sufficiently level, its not, it needs some prep.

I have alot of pics linked in my signature that show all the major steps to installing a pool, I'd also recommend watching some online videos as there are lots available, even if you contract out the install it will help educate you on what should happen.

The danger in leaving the pool walls up for 4-5 days is that the water is not reinforcing or stabilizing them, if the wind picks up there is potential they could buckle, personally I'd pull it down sooner rather than later.

You did the right thing :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.