Easytouch or Intellitouch?

Apr 11, 2012
We will be finalizing our contract this week for a new pool build starting in February. 17x31 shotcrete pool with spa that spills into pool, intellifo pump, IC40 SWCG, planters with landscape lighting, mastertemp 400K propane heater, and intellibrites. I want an automation system so my wife or others can easily operate the equipment by simply pressing a button or through an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad or other mobile device. Future expansion plans probably include solar heating and possibly a heat pump to extend the swim season on either end.

Would it be better to get an easytouch system or an intellitouch system?

I looked at both systems for our pool, just installed at the beginning of this year. Either automation system will work well for you.

We opted for the Easytouch-8 system, primarily because of its lower cost. And, it provides the added option of controlling it directly from the outside panel, whereas the Intellitouch has no direct control outside. The Intellitouch must be controlled from either a wired or wireless controller.

For either the Easytouch or Intellitouch systems, iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch control can be obtained via the optional Screenlogic module.

For our Easytouch, I opted to go with the Screenlogic option plus the Wireless Connection Kit, which eliminates the need to run a cable between the outdoor panel and our wireless router.

We ended up going with an Easytouch 8, along with the IC60 SWCG. It's great and more than enough automation for our needs. We have a wired control panel in our kitchen which allows us to control all pool functions from the inside. I do like the fact that I can also control the system completely from the pool pad using the Easytouch's control panel. On an Intellitouch, there is no LCD menu to provide info regarding the system run state. In addition, I liked the fact that you can purchase an Easytouch with an included Intellichlor, which simplified the purchase and install. The only major thing missing on the Easytouch vs. Intellitouch that I can garner is the former lack's "macro" control. These macros allow you to program a single button to activate multiple circuits (e.g. push one button to turn on the spa, activate the waterfall pump and turn on pool lights). I really don't need this though because of the remote panel. Also, I've interfaced the unit with an Autelis PoolControl that controls the major functions via the web. So, I can activate these things from my Android phone, which is pretty cool! The Autelis also allows for communications between my home automation system (which handles all of the lighting controls in the house and back yard, except our Intellibrites which are controlled by the Easytouch).

The Intellitouch is also a nice system and is offered for much more elaborate automation. I just didn't see the need as our home already has a dedicated home automation system that can talk to our Easytouch as described.

Thank you for your responses. You both pointed out something I clearly missed during all my research that intellitouch has no user interface on the panel. This made the decision very simple. I do believe I will be going with the easytouch 8 to allow for possible future expansion.

I have the IntelliTouch and use macros to do more complicated things such as switching a valve for my pool cleaner in addition to setting a lower flow rate. It also ensures that no higher flow rate settings are on when that cleaner comes on because otherwise the highest flow rate request wins.

Actually, I set up my Easytouch to switch the cleaner valve (valve B) over when in Master Cleaner mode. This also sets the proper pump speed. I'm not sure if it overrides the speed setting if it was previously in a higher speed mode. In any event, it works fine and I don't need macros for this kind of stuff. I can see macros being useful for some things like setting up a "party mode" where a single button turns everything on, including the landscape lighting, etc. But, my home automation handles this stuff.

For a smaller saltwater pool without a spa or water features...except for basic lighting, bubblers, heater and pump, what are the benefits of the automation module?

I've heard it helps for managing saltwater in finer increments. Is this true?

The cost between EasyTouch 4, 8 and IntelliTouch, screenlogic can add up quickly ($4500+).

Trying to understand what is needed vs. worthwhile as we spec out first pool. Thanks.

Thanks Gary. Might you know the specific Pentair PNs of the units needed? For example, is it just the EasyTouch 8 + screenlogic2? Or is the EasyTouch wireless function control panel PN 520547 also required in between to connect to home wi-fi?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.