In Ground Liner Reviews?

pcn

Sep 30, 2012
Hello, I am about to replace my in ground pool’s vinyl liner and am shopping for one that will last. I haven’t found any reviews so far on the site, maybe I'm not looking inn the rihgt forum. Our last liner was a Tara, made somewhat locally in the state (AL). It fit well at first, but seemed to shrink over time. The strips that were used to make the liner were very narrow and it seemed to have many more pieces than our original Plastimayd. We were very satisfied with the Platimayd, but I haven’t found anyone who sells direct. GLI liners look nice, and I like the 28/20 gauge designs, but am not sure if I should upgrade to the 28/28 gauge. InTheSwm carries GLI as does SPP (Specialty Pool Products). How are these companies? Another company I’ve looked at is Ameri-Brand – they look good, but are in CA so shipping is rather high. Any experiences with liner brands as well as resellers would be very appreciated!

The companies that seam your liner together don't typically actually manufacture the the vinyl. For example, I deal with Pocono Pool Products and every year they shop around and buy rolls (looks like carpet roll) of pool vinyl with the print already on it. They cut all the various pieces needed to make your liner on a machine that was originally designed to make sails for boats. After the machine is done cutting the vinyl they have workers who use metal bars that melt/weld the vinyl together using radio waves that cause the vinyl to heat up. What I'm trying to say is you really don't know where the vinyl is coming from and some liners can actually be from 2 different manufacturers. Installation/fit and chemistry is what I believe will make a liner last longer.

This is our first year with our pool, but the builder (who we tracked down) said Performance/Lanthum provided our liner.
It is on year 12 and has held up really really well - even survived the foreclosure syndrome for 1.5 years, super acidic conditions (eg. ph was 6.5 on opening) and didn't wrinkle one whit...

Granted, that could all be in the installation, as Kevin notes, but when I replace it, I will pay the PB pricing to get another one if it can look so good after 12 years despite a rough patch ;)

I'm not trying to advertise for Pocono Pool Products but as of last year they have a print available that according to the manufacturer of the vinyl is supposed to be better than the typical run of the mill vinyl http://completepoolsource.com/PoconoPoo ... iners.html

But even the owners of Poconos told me they can't say if it's better or not as we just have to wait and see how it performs and they can only go by what the manufacturer says.

There must be something that has changed over the years because I know of a few liners in our are that are over 40 years old they have formed multiple holes over the years but don't seem to be becoming brittle as some liners do around the 10-15 year mark. These older liners are always just plain blue or green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.