Need help with my bromine spa

miller9951

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Indiantown, FL
I have read the sticky that waterbear posted about maintaining a bromine spa but I still have a few questions. We have recently switched over our 300 gallon spa from the dreaded Baqua Spa to bromine per the advice of our spa repairman. He suggested that we crush one tab into the new water and put two tabs into a floater and to add one tablespoon of lemon juice to lower the PH and one tablespoon of baking soda to raise the PH and he also said that alkaline is green do not adjust. My question is that our spa water has a green tint to it and is this correct? I have been shocking the spa for the last two week using ultra bleach per waterbears sticky.

Thanks,
Eddie

The pH of the water does not have an effect on it's color.
Lemon juice (citric acid) is not going to be effective at lowering pH. Some people have also suggested vinegar for this but it's not effective either. The reason why is that they are 'weak' acids chemically.
To adjust ph you need a chemically 'strong' acid such as muriatic or sulfuric (which is what forms when dry acid is dissolved in water).
Baking soda is not that effective at raising ph but is effective at raising TA. To raise your pH you can aerate the water if the TA does not need to be raised, use soda ash (washing soda) if you need to raise BOTH pH and TA, or use borax if you want to raise the ph quickly with minimal effect on TA.
His advice to crush up a few tablets and dissolve them in the water was good. This is to create your 'bromide bank' in the water but just adding 1/2 oz of sodium bromine per 100 gallons is a much more effective and cost efficient way to do this. Sodium bromide is available for this purpose from such companies as HTH and Robarb or you can use a sodium bromide mustard algae product such as Jacks yellow stuff or Proteam's Mustard and Black Magic. This are also just sodium bromide.

Green water is never a good sign. It could indicate algae or metals in your water.
Your TA is WAY too high at 195 ppm, for bromine I would suggest around 100 ppm if you are shocking with MPS and a bit lower if you are shocking with bleach. You will find that your pH becomes much more stable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.