hi there! test method question

Sep 29, 2012
Central Texas
first off, great site :-D my family and I just had our pool built and i was looking over test kits. It seems like the electronic tracer pocket tester is the most accurate tester, with a price tag of 289.00, is it worth the money? We just spent 55k on our pool so whats another 289.00 on a quality tool to make my cleaning process a bit cleaner and easier :) . I just wanted to run it by you experts first. Any comments or advice on Tracer or other electronic testers would be greatly appreciated. also im color blind so im a bit leery of the test strips.

Well hello there! :wave: WELCOME to TFP!

I only know of the drop test kits so will speak of them. They work great for me! I do not know how they will work for you being color blind as they do require looking at color and changing of colors. I do see where you have a family so here is my idea! Have them do the tests with you a few times. I am thinking you will see in your way what the water should look like when doing the test. Just an idea. :lol:

You will love this site and being in charge of you pool! :party:

Oh we LOVE pictures! :whoot:

Kim

Most find that electronic testers are expensive and not nearly as accurate. Most of the tests in the TF100 test kit that most here use, are titration test. They do not require judging a shade difference in color, but do require counting drops until a dramatic shift in color. Depending on your degree of color blindness you may or may not be able to do it. There is however, no question that it is the most accurate method.

Thanks for the responses. i purchased a aquacheck true test digital test strip reader and its honorable! i did three consecutive test and the reading were all over the map. ill have to stick with the drops like you guys were saying and let my wife read it :)

Palintest Pooltest 6 may be a better option for you if you want a digital testing device, it's accuracy is far superior to drop kits, and includes a DPD XT test to test chlorine in the 0.01-10.00ppm range, which is good for DPD testing, but is pricey and the cost of replacement reagent tablets is also very high.

Lovibond offers a similarly priced MD200 photometer, with 2 main differences, namely a lack of ability to test above 5ppm Chlorine, however a substantially reduced costing of tablet reagents, however I am not sure of availability of Lovibond products in the US.

The TF100 and Taylor drop kits seem to both offer good value for money on the price of reagents, coupled with the FAS-DPD testing ability to a range of 50ppm, which is good for residential pool owners who need an accurate testing method, the drawback will be the ability of yourself to be able to determine colour change especially with the chlorine test as depending on your level of colour blindness, it may well be impossible to tell the difference when the colour changes from slightly pink to colourless.

For obvious reasons I would not recommend comparators to you, which involve matching colour scales to ascertain a reading.

I think it really comes down to how colour blind you are, could you tell the difference between water that has a pink tinge to it, or not? If you can the TF100 will serve you well, if you can't and your in the market for a good quality photometer - (I do not consider anything Which costs less than $400 a good photometer) and given the chlorine testing constraints of DPD tablet reagents 0-5ppm or DPDXT 0-10ppm, then it may well be for you.

For the record I have a lovibond comparator, a FAS-DPD Palintest drop kit and a Palintest 7100 photometer, so it's fair to say I have experienced a wide range of testing methods, the photometer gives the easiest and most accurate results from all the devices, but is expensive, the drop kit is very good also.

Regards
Stuart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.