First pool closing for me.

shep377

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Well the end of the first year is a huge success with the TF100 and the BBB! I never had a single problem once I got going and the water is clear as can be! So now I need to learn how to close it... :) I have been reading the pool school on this and I had a question about test results on closing. Perhaps there should be a target test results to winterize a pool as well somewhere in there. My current results are: (CYA and Salt are low because I drained 12" and refilled a couple weeks ago by... ahem.. accident. I am leaving them there for the winter)

Salt 2200
FC 4, CC 0, TC 4
T/A 100
CH 330
CYA 50-55

I was going to bring it to shock levels, which thepoolcalculator suggests is 17 for my CYA level.

I think that is it... close it up. I have never had any issue with algae and CC is definitely 0, so do I really need to put in other chemicals? I really like not adding anything else like BBB teaches.

Congrats on your first successful BBB season! Only thing I don't see is ph? If around 7.4-7.6 you should be good. Other thing you may want to do which is suggested in pool school is add startup dose of polyquat. Bring to shock level then let settle back toward normal chlorine level and close her up! You will love the way the pool uncovers and how quickly it is ready to use, except for water temp of course. Also note you should have water temps down around 60 before closing.

It looks like you have a good grasp on things. I would add nothing but chlorine and close it up. Many folks here do like polyquat 60 as added insurance but probably an even number simply elevate the chlorine. What city and state do you live in?

My pH (sorry, just missed typing it) is at 7.6... 7.5 today. I put the cover on it and I think I am good. I live in southern Ontario, Canada - so it gets pretty cold here. The water is 60deg in the pool now. Thanks!
Josh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.