How do I determine my "turn over" rate ?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I keep reading about the importance of having at least 1 full "turnover" over water during the winter time, running the pump/filter less than I usually do in the summer swin season. How do I determine just what that amount of time is? (We live in a warmer climate so will keep water in the pool & the necessary levels of chems).

I have a 40,000 (est) gallon pool with a 1/2 HP pump & 2 Cartridge filter

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the actual number of turnovers you have. You don't need nearly a complete turnover each day in the winter. Just keep cutting back on the run time until it's not keeping the pool clear and then up it a bit and leave it there.

To answer your last questions, it is not "easy" to calculate the flow rate. Into that calculation goes: All the details of your plumbing (# suction and return pipes, sizes, eyeball sizes, # of elbows in the plumbing, etc), your pump, filter, and valve details, pressure readings (ideally the pressure side and the suction side), height of equipment relative to the water .... and probably some more stuff.

Thus, easier to just cut the run time back until the pool is not clear enough for you and bump it back up. Chemical mixing happens very fast and is not a limiting factor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.