Pentair light - seal methods?

Jul 7, 2007
Allen, Texas
Hi all,
I recently had to pull my light out due to water leakage. I replaced the bulb last year with a LED bulb and was VERY careful on how I put it back together....including a new gasket. However, it leaked anyway and now I have to buy another LED bulb ($$). Personally, I think the whole gasket/seal design on the light is flawed, but that is just my opinion. I have considered applying a small bead of silicone to the glass lens and then attaching it to the fixture. I'd let it dry before applying the gasket and tightening. I know this would make it tricky to remove later, but nothing a razorblade couldn't fix. Any thoughts?

Mike

I have read that certain light fixtures have seal problems like this. How old is it? It may still be covered under the warranty. If not, you might consider switching to a sealed fixture like the Colorlogic.

It's about 1.5 years old, but I replaced the gasket last year when I replaced the bulb. It wasn't leaking when I opened it last year (it was about 9 months since pool build at that time), so it is likely that something went wrong when I resealed it, but I can't see anything (new gasket still looked good, no cracks.....but somehow it leaked). My new LED bulb arrives in a few days and I want to be 100% sure that it won't leak this time. The only way I can think of to get this confidence is to apply sealant to the gasket or lens.

I agree that a totally enclosed fixture, like the Colorlogic LED light, would be great, but it's 3x the cost and wouldn't be in sync with my spa light (which I also replaced with LED and still works fine, no leaks).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.