strange FC readings

iam4iam

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2012
Johnson City, TN
First of all, thanks to TFP, I have had a truly TFP all summer long!

Background: I've been faithfully measuring FC levels all summer with no problems. A few unexpected readings that may be the result of two successive inaccuracies in opposite directions, but for the most part I've gotten to where I can predict what the reading will be with decent accuracy. I've noticed that as the temperature has decreased, so has the FC dissipation rate. For the last few weeks, I've averaged about 48 oz/day of bleach to maintain FC around 5 with CYA of 70. Since 32 oz of bleach raises the FC level ~0.5 ppm, this translates to a depletion rate of FC of about 1.5 ppm/day, which seems very reasonable (and quite a relief compared to the 3+ ppm/day during the hotter weeks of the summer). For much of the summer I was measuring every night, but lately I've been confident enough to only measure every 2-3 days. I've meticulously kept a spreadsheet of my pool stats all summer long.

Quandary: Lines 355-363 of attached spreadsheet [attachment=0:1e8t3clc]pool stats.xls[/attachment:1e8t3clc]
This period of 5 days indicates FC depletion of only 0.3 ppm/day on average, which is acceptable overnight FC loss in 24 hours! When I got the reading on line 360, I figured maybe the previous reading had been low and this one was high, but even if the line 355 reading was low by 0.5 ppm and the line 363 reading is high by 0.5, that would still be only 0.5 ppm/day of FC loss over this 5-day period! I didn't change anything in my testing method. I might not be that taken aback if the water were only 50 degrees, but at 70? Can anyone think of a possible explanation?

Attachments

• pool stats.xls
    54 KB · Views: 2
Richard320 said:
The other possibility is that you didn't notice that Chlorox upped the strength of their bleach from 6 to 8.
Is that true? That seemed like a very plausible explanation, but I checked and my bottles are still 6%. I'm going to take another reading today when the pump comes on and provide an update. Still puzzled. Sun and temperature variation don't seem to explain such a dramatic decrease in dissipation rate. I'd expect -0.3 ppm/day if there were no sun, i.e. 24 hours of night!

I doubt anyone's swimming in 70 degree water.

My daughters and I were in about a week ago at 69. Only stayed in about 15 min and I had to force them out even though they couldn't talk without stammering every word. "Dadadadddddddyyy wiwiwillllll yoyoyouuu gggigivvve mmmmeeee a pipipipiggggyyyyy bbbbaaccck rrrriridddde". Pool has been down to 66, but is back up to 70 last night, might get another swim in yet.

My chlorine usage has dropped off a lot lately as well, there were days when I didn't add any chlorine at all.

I jumped in (70 degrees) after a run earlier this week and couldn't get out fast enough. The only reason the pool is still open is I'm waiting for "closing temp" of 60. Anyway, based on readings yesterday and today, it seems that either the measurement process is unreliable (more than 10% error) or something very strange is happening in my pool. My conundrum is that a process that has been very reliable all summer wouldn't suddenly become unreliable. (I did have an occasional "huh?" reading, but they were few and far between. The majority of my readings over the last week have been of the "huh?" variety.)
See attachment below.[attachment=0:3uyxrs7m]pool stats.xls[/attachment:3uyxrs7m]
Given: CYA = 70 and 32 oz bleach = approx. +1 ppm FC
Lines 355-363 ==> depletion at 0.3 ppm/day for 5 days*
Lines 363-365 ==> depletion at 2.5 ppm/day for 1 day**
Lines 365-367 ==> depletion of 0.5 ppm/day for 1 day

*surprisingly low; led to original post in this topic
**more than on days with temps near 100* (See lines 144-155 ==> depletion at 1.5 ppm/day for 3 days)

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Maybe. I do tend to do that. Do I need more sleep? Definitely. Have I gone nuts? TBD :?

Attachments

• pool stats.xls
    55 KB · Views: 3
When the water is cooler, the chlorine loss that is due to temperature is much lower, but the loss due to sunlight is independent of temperature and depends only on the hours of sunlight, angle of sun, and if it is obscured (i.e. clouds). So were your days cloudy at all when the chlorine loss was low and did you have a sunny day when the loss was higher?

chem geek said:
So were your days cloudy at all when the chlorine loss was low and did you have a sunny day when the loss was higher?
Not particularly.

I assume the standard deviation of FC level in a population of water samples of a particular size is very small--that is, FC distribution is very evenly distributed--right? (I was thinking maybe the "huh?" readings were taken on "outlier" water samples. I did get several very unexpected readings earlier during the summer. From now on, I wonder if I should just l take another sample to verify. The few times I've taken second samples, I've never had a variation of more than 0.5 ppm, I don't think, which doesn't necessarily even indicate variation in FC distribution, since the test itself is only reliable to +/- 10%.)

The test is usually very consistent, but it is very sensitive to contamination due to the small water sample size. If you dipped your finger into the water sample, it would have an effect, or if the cylinder wasn't thoroughly rinsed. See this thread for an example of that. However, in your case, your unusual drop wasn't a one-time drop with the next measurement was back up again so this explanation is probably not what happened.

Even with the variation you saw, you probably don't need to do another sample since it didn't look to be a single sample error, but rather an unexplained more rapid drop in one day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.