New pool build- Vinyl questions.

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
Hi all,

Long story short we sold our home a year after putting our pool in, but its because our financial situation changed and we are finally able to build our dream home. :) Sad to leave the pool we put so much hard work into, but excited to do it all again!!

we signed the purchase agreement for our new home, and have been getting some rough quotes for a new pool. My questions are as follows. With a vinyl liner pool, is it possible to use limestone for the coping and doing an under mount automatic pool cover so we dont have to use the prefab coping? Also, we want one of the long edges of the pool to just have the coping and then grass? Is this possible with a vinyl pool? (steel walled) What are the pros and cons of doing that? Also the pool will be SWG. We are looking to do 20x40 with 8 ft deep end (no diving board). And we are really wanting to do vinyl covered steps the full 20 ft. Pros and cons of vinyl covered steps?

Thanks so much in advance!!

I dislike vinyl covered steps, although they look pretty the liner isn't an exact fit so you end up with gaps behind the liner which means if you damage the liner there it will leak fast.

Not leaving decking behind the coping will means you will have a hard time getting a safety cover for your pool if you ever want one.

Other than the difficulty of a safety cover, which we have figured out - my family members have a Gunite pool set up with one edge being grass and they use rebar to hold the safety cover. It wouldn't compromise the pool structure to not have concrete surrounding the grass side? We want the look of the gunite pool, just with out the cost. Here its extremely more expensive, and it will be an adult pool, with an automatic cover so I would feel comfortable with the vinyl covered steps.

the strength of the pool doesn't come from the decking, the vertical walls are connected to bracing in the ground which is behind the wall. The decking may add some strength inherently. There a plenty of pools with pavers instead of concrete do give you a visual idea of how it really doesn't matter. Just keep in mind that only a certain percentage of cover anchors can be anchor-in-pipe (soil installation) before the cover is no longer considered a safety cover. You can call loop-loc for that info as I don't have it memorized.

Check with the manufacturer of the wall kit. Some require a certain amount of concrete poured around the top of the wall to maintain structural integrity. You can do the auto cover as planned but it will require some poured concrete to tie the track to for strength.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.