Single skimmer port, want to use vacuum and skimmer bucket

Sep 26, 2012
Hello guys! This is my first post.
I just bought my first home and I'm a proud owner of a pool and spa.

I had a question about the skimmer. I have one of them and it two holes at the bottom, but only one provides suction. What is the other one for?
Also, is there any skimmer buckets that allow me to also use a vacuum at the same time? I always leave the vacuum in the pool, but i'm tired of skimming out leaves.

Thanks!

Re: Single skimmer port, want to use vacuum and skimmer buck

Welcome to TFP!

Main drain = floor drain.

Do you have one?

Or, the 2nd hole could just go to an equalization hole that would be in the wall below the skimmer
Or, the 2nd hole could be capped off

Thanks,

I do have a main drain in the middle of the pool floor.

There is no equalization hole, I guess it's just a plugged up hole.

Do you know of any way I could get the skimmer to work in conjunction with the vacuum being plugged up to the hole?

Do you have a separate pipe/valve at the pump to select the floor drain?
If not, then likely the floor is connected to the skimmer hole.

I am not sure how you use a vacuum with a skimmer plate when the floor is connected ... seems like you may need to plug the floor hole. Although honestly the only time I have ever vacuumed I just suck the hose in the skimmer hole to suck up some dirt at my previous house.

I think what you are asking is how to keep the skimmer functioning while you have the Vac hooked up via the skimmer - right? There are a couple of options but the simple one that comes to my mind is to add a Poolskim attachment to one of your returns:

http://www.poolskim.com/
poolskim-review-t37058.html

That product looks pretty great. I'll have to figure out how to attach it to my pool, Instead of jets, there are just holes in the walls of the pool, they're all angled to the right.

s2kenny said:
That product looks pretty great. I'll have to figure out how to attach it to my pool, Instead of jets, there are just holes in the walls of the pool, they're all angled to the right.
I'm thinking some type of expanding fitting and an adapter.

I have the same set-up as the OP - the drain is plumbed to the skimmer, the returns are recessed and angled to the wall.
If you are the daring type, there is (at least in my case, YMMV) PVC pipe sitting back a few inches from the surface. A piece of pipe with cement on it, stuck quickly and firmly into the return MIGHT get you the desired connector.
Seems to me there are other floating skimmers which don't use return pressure.

After going around several times, I decided that, if I want to go with a suction cleaner, I'd also get an in-line leaf bag for it - the leaf bag is a skimmer bag in a can which sits between the cleaner and the suction hole on the skimmer - plug the cleaner (with the leaf bag installed) into the suction port of the skimmer - the bag will act as your skimmer while the cleaner is running. The crud the cleaner pics up will be in the bag, not your pump.

Why the 2-hole skimmer?
2 things: you have a water source even if the water level drops below the skimmer inlet (you won't run the pump dry unless you REALLY try) and you have an alternate suction outlet - preventing entrapment should a body part cover the drain. I can put my hand over the drain and have just about 0 pull - the pump just takes the source with least resistance - almost always the skimmer.

short form - use a "leaf canister" inline with your suction cleaner and don't worry about the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

happyheathen said:
After going around several times, I decided that, if I want to go with a suction cleaner, I'd also get an in-line leaf bag for it - the leaf bag is a skimmer bag in a can which sits between the cleaner and the suction hole on the skimmer - plug the cleaner (with the leaf bag installed) into the suction port of the skimmer - the bag will act as your skimmer while the cleaner is running. The crud the cleaner pics up will be in the bag, not your pump.

short form - use a "leaf canister" inline with your suction cleaner and don't worry about the skimmer.

Leaf canister is a must - but I think the OP wanted to have the suction cleaner hooked up all the time (Perhaps to add and use a timer to allow low maintenance). This means that the skimmer is not available at all ever - sure the vac gets the stuff on the bottom but not the stuff on top - which is where the skimmer excels. The idea was to have a way to do both. The obvious answer is add a suction line - but without going that far the idea of using a return powered skimmer while the suction cleaner is hooked up is what I advised. Another option would be a robot - and ditch the suction side cleaner.

happyheathen said:
Yeah, missed the part ow wanting to keep the surface skimmed while the cleaner was connected

nevermind..
There's nothing wrong with the advice you gave. It might help somebody else with a different need next time.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.