Going on vacation with new plaster

Jun 15, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Hi Everyone -

My new pool finished filling on September 14th. I'm going on vacation for week, starting September 27th. Unfortunately, I won't have anyone to help care for the pool while I'm gone. Any suggestions?
I'm planning on filling my floater with trichlor pucks. How many should I use? Also, my ph is high at 8.2. Do i need to get this down before I go (no one will be using the pool while I'm gone).

My current numbers are:
FC: .5
CC: 0
PH: 8.2
CH: 190
CYA: 0
TA: 90

Thanks in advance!

Stuntweasel12 said:
Also, my ph is high at 8.2. Do i need to get this down

YES!!!

It is very important to keep the pH in range while new plaster is curing ... you may need to be adjusting the pH daily.

What did you plasterer give you as far as instructions for the curing process?
Do you have a full set of test results?
Do you have a cover?

Are you keeping track of your CYA from using the pucks? They will help keep the pH down while you are gone and will add FC.

My preliminary suggestions before hearing your answers to the above questions:
1. Get the pH down to the low 7s and keep it there until you are going to leave
2. Then using liquid chlorine, bring the FC up to shock level
3. Fill the floater up with as many pucks as you can to try to hold the pH down and keep the FC up
OR
3. Put a cover on (probably the better option with a couple pucks)

Unfortunately, I can't hire the plasterer. In terms of full test results, I thought I posted them in my original post...what am i missing?

I also don't have a cover.

I added two cups of muriatic acid this evening. My ph is now at 7.2. I put three pucks in the floater. I'm going to add some liquid chlorine before I leave tomorrow. Since i have the three pucks in, how much bleach (6%) should I put in?

Thanks!

Oh, yeah ... forgot the test results were there.

So what did the plaster company say to do? Your CH seems way too low for a new setup and should probably be increased or the plaster could be damaged.

Use the bleach to raise to shock level.

Wait, just realized that you reported your CYA as 0. So none of your FC is protected from the sun and will likely be broken down very quickly ... I have my doubts about any FC remaining when you get back.

I am amazed that it seems like the plaster company has not done or suggested adjustment in the last 2 weeks.

The plaster company basically plastered the pool and took off. I think they are relying on the pool builder's pool maintenance guy, who I do not have any confidence in. I found out that the pool guy put calcium in at start up on the 14th and I don't think he's tested it since. The last time he came out, I saw him use the testing kit the pool builder left for me (Oreq TK-400) then throw the test water back in the pool!

When testing for ph, he didn't even use the chlorine neutralizer like the Oreq directions indicated.

When I read the last post, I was so panicked that I re-did the CH test on the TF-100. After reading the extended directions for the CH test (courtesy of TFP) I added five drops of R-0012 before the R0010 and the R-0011L. It looks like my CH is actually 210. Is that better? I'm hoping this issue keeps since I don't have any calcium chloride and home depot doesn't open until 6am. I'm supposed to be on my way to the airport by then. Will my plaster be ruined if I don't add calcium until next Thursday?

Fingers crossed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.