Can I close this way?

May 26, 2012
Northwest Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First, i am in NW Tennessee. We don't get super cold and water never froze last year so i wanted to go about things differently for this second winter of being a pool owner. Last year, I ordered a closing kit from In The Swim, removed the filter, hoses, etc and covered with a black mesh like cover so water could drain. I opened this spring to a swampy pond and frog habitat and found this site. So, (after forgetting to keep a check on my chlorine the past few wks and developing some algae), i thought about doing it this way. I have shocked the pool and held the FC at 22 for a few days. Currently, these are my readings:

TC 20
PH 7.3 or so
TA 120
CYA 35

Can i leave the pump attached and simply check chlorine levels until spring (meaning to never let it disappear)? I would run the pump any time we are close to the freezing temps and still use the black mesh cover. Will the chlorine eat up the cover though? I do NOT want to lose weeks again to trying to clear a green swamp in spring.

That's what I was thinking. Assuming I should wait until the FC drops to add the cover? I have a LOT of trees around the pool and they are starting to drop so i wanted to get it covered up. Unless we have several days and nights of below freezing tem
ps in a row, i dont *think* it would freeze.

20 ppm FC is a little high for a CYA of 35 but not too much. You can go ahead and cover it and just run the pump once in a while to keep it circulated and test the FC every few days or so. At 20 ppm FC with a CYA of 35 you won't "eat up the cover" Besides, it'll come down.

I was trying to shock it as it turned a bit green. Even with days of it remaining around 20, it still has a green tint to it though...just checked. I dont thoroughly understand it as the levels seem to be okay.

Outside of the green tint, have you passed all three shocking criteria...ie the water is clear just with a green tint?
I'm thinking it may be copper in your water, but answer first. Thaank you!

Yes, it passes all the criteria. We are on well water and I noticed over the past mth, some rust staining inside of my filter area. IDK if that matters.

ETA: I just went out to check my filter and it was completely and solidly rust colored. The green tint is a bit less today but i can now tell that it's a slightly hazy and not completely clear. I have no idea what's going on with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.