Bad Capacitor?

keene3b07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 9, 2011
Got a new pump for a customer today. Wired it up, plumbed it, and when I turned it on it makes a loud stressful noise like it is trying to get started but it never does and after 30 seconds or so it kicks the internal breaker. The motors voltage is 230 which is what we need. The impeller is spinning freely by hand. The wires in the back of the motor are all secured with the right contacts. The two wires going in to the capacitor are secure. What the heck is going on here? Please help if you can. Thanks.

Cool video!
Thanks. :)

I might add that you can't always reliably test a capacitor with a multimeter, by just testing resistance. You need an actual capacitor tester that will charge it and measure it's capacitance, IE. if it properly holds a charge and isn't 'leaky' or weak.

But a multimeter on it's own, will definitely show a capacitor that has totally failed, for sure. But not one that's haywire or, beginning to fail, IE. intermittent.

keene3b07 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etoWlUoCrvg&feature=plcp

Video of the Pump in question

Whoa! That's nasty.
So did you test the CAP?

Being that it's new, I'd just RMA it through the manuf. but I know that can be a pain with things and often means being without the item in question. Unless they'll do an advanced RMA/Cross Ship.

What brand pump is that, doesn't look familiar.

Thats sounds nasty, like a year old hayward pump. :lol:

Disclaimer:
Not all hayward pumps sound like this after a year, but some can.
these views are not that of TFP, and meant to be sort of a joke!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.