Beth's Baqua conversion

May 13, 2008
Just going to start my conversion

I opened my baquacil pool 5/1/08. The baq level was over 30 so I have been dropping the pool level down about 6" as often as I could & adding fresh water. The local pool store sold me 2 bottles of a chemical that supposed to help deplete the baquacil,although I don't think it did much. From what I read, it looks like I have to just take the plunge & start adding bleach. Is that all I need to add? (The baq level is now around 15.) Also what is CYA?
Any help is appreciated.I did buy the test kit from "David" So I guess once I get started I will be testing the chlorine levels with that. Do you suggest I wait a while longer to continue to try to lower the baq levels?

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to adjust the PH to between 7.0 and 7.4. That will help the chlorine be more effective. You also want a good test kit. I recommend the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, though the Taylor K-2006 is also alright. Without a FAS-DPD test kit you can get started, but you are going to have a very difficult time knowing when you are done with the conversion.

The basic process is to test the water and then add enough bleach to bring the FC level up to 15, and repeat this as frequently as you can (up to once per hour), all with the pump running 24/7. The more often you can bring the FC level back up to 15 the faster the process will go. You will likely need large amounts of bleach, reports from other conversions vary from 40 to 300 gallons, with around 100 being fairly common.

While you are adding bleach the pool will turn all kinds of disturbing colors, just ignore that. Once the basic conversion is complete you will need to replace your filter media, sand, cartridge, or grids, depending on what kind of filter you have.

Hi Beth and welcome :)

Good for you! Already got the TF 100 Test kit! You're ready to go!

Some of the other baq converters will be along to give you support.

Feel free to ask all your questions and please take pix.

Congratulations on taking control of your pool! :lol:

Thanks for the support! Yes I do have the test you said I has (t? 100?) But I don't know what cya is? Anyway, I guess I'll start adding clorax in the morning & see what happens,the ph level is about 7.4 now

beth5913 said:
Thanks for the support! Yes I do have the test you said I has (t? 100?) But I don't know what cya is? Anyway, I guess I'll start adding clorax in the morning & see what happens,the ph level is about 7.4 now
And they said women can't answer a direct question. jeez!

CYA is a stabilizer additive that binds with the chlorine in the pool so the sun won't burn it all away. It helps the chlorine stick around longer to actually sanitize the water. (Too much is NOT a good thing.) Chlorine pucks have this compound as an ingredient. Some powder chlorine products have this added as well. Bleach does not. Don't worry about this value yet.

Yes, dive right in and start adding plain unscented bleach. Might have been better to put the initial dosing in when the sun was down, but tomorrow will be fine too. You will be adding bleach all day....not just one time. Be prepared.

Good luck and take some pictures to post.

CaryB

What size is your pool? It would be great if you could put some basic description of your pool and equipment in your signature. That will help us answer questions like how much bleach to add.

You want the pump and filter running 24/7 when you start adding bleach.

beth5913 said:
If I go out & put clorax in tonight,how many gallons should I put in & should I run the filter & if yes,on filter or recirc?

Beth,
The amount depends on the size of your pool......

An easy (really) math review:
Regular bleach is generally between 5.25% and 6% chlorine
Per 10,000 gallons, bleach will raise the chlorine (in ppm) by its percentage.
So, you have an exact 10,000 gallon pool......you add one gallon of bleach ultra @ 6% sodium hypochlorite(chlorine).....your chlorine is now 6ppm.
Or, you have a 25,000 gallon pool......you add one gallon of bleach @ 6%.....your chlorine is now around 1.5ppm.

You'll need 10 gallons to raise the chlorine 15ppm.

I'm thinking that in this beginning stage of converting, worrying about 5.25% or 6% strength is splitting hairs. Round up (or down) your pool size for mathematical ease, pour in some chlorine to take it up to 15-20 ppm, and take pictures.

Run the pool 24/7 on filter. Be prepared to backwash daily.

If possible, go into your profile section and add your pool's info in your signature. That'll make everybody know exactly what type of pool you have, size, filter, etc. It's just easier on us.

Good luck.

CaryB

It takes 6 gallons of 6% bleach to raise FC from 0 to 15 in a 25,000 gallon pool.

ivyleager, you have the right idea, but you did your math a little wrong. One gallon of 6% raises 10,000 gallons by 6 ppm, so it raises 25,000 gallons 6/2.5 or 2.4 ppm. This is why I like to use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. It makes simple math mistakes much less likely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys, I'm heading out to put in 6 gals of bleach. I'll turn the filter back on & i hope it will be ok to wait till the A.M. to backwash, I understand there could be alot of baquagoo from the initial deposit of bleach

JasonLion said:
It takes 6 gallons of 6% bleach to raise FC from 0 to 15 in a 25,000 gallon pool.

ivyleager, you have the right idea, but you did your math a little wrong. One gallon of 6% raises 10,000 gallons by 6 ppm, so it raises 25,000 gallons 6/2.5 or 2.4 ppm. This is why I like to use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. It makes simple math mistakes much less likely.
Yep, I divided 6 by 2 twice.....sure made sense in my head when I did it. I'm thinking I'm overchlorinating my pool by a smidge.

beth5913 said:
I have a 25000 gal i/g pool with a sand filter 1 1/2 hp pump
(sorry, I'm new at this!)
No problem, Beth.

What kind of pool? gunite, fiberglass, vinyl?

Also, if you have any trouble putting info in your sig, just post back and one of us will be happy to do it for you.

Use Jason's pool calculator (link in my sig) to correctly dose your pool back to shock level each time.

Ask all your questions. Folks are ready to help you :-D

It's vinyl ;iner & I just took the plunge & put in 6 gals of ultra bleach. Immediately turned some funky DARK color. In the dark.it's kinda hard to see exactly what color it is,but deffinatley changed colors! I presume tomorrow is continue to add clorax,right?

WOW, Now that's the deepest green I've seen since I made pea soup in the winter!! I got up & added another 5 gallons at 5:30 this A.M. & checked the baq level,seems to be at least nearly at "0" I have to go buy more clorax today & I guess I'll just continue to add every couple of hours.

Came home about 3:00 & was amazed at how clear the water was getting already. I added 6 more gallons of bleach & vacuumed to waste. Was also pretty amazed at how little "gunk" was on the bottom, I can already see the bottom of the deep end (not the liner print,only the drain & the vacuum head) After the 3:00 dose the water did appear to turn a little greener. The ph is low (around 6.0) should I add something to raise it? The chlorine reading was "0" before I added the last 6 gallons. I figure I'll put in another 6 gallons now & then again in the morning,or do you think I should add another 6 later?
Please give me some advice. Thank you :)

During the conversion you should only test the PH when the FC level is below 10, preferably near zero. If PH is indeed very low then you should raise it so it is again between 7.0 and 7.4. I remember the PH starting out around 7.4. I really wouldn't expect it to drop that much if all you have been adding is bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.