Charlotte NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Monarch ESC36 / ESC8000
Need a bit of help please. Went to turn on my pool light today and the GFI breaker was tripped. Reset breaker, then hit the switch and keep tripping the breaker. Hoping that this is just a connection issue in the junction box, but just in case, what troubleshooting can be done? Anyway to check the light other than pulling it out and replacing?? Acts like a dead short as it trips the breaker so quick. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I'd probably pull the fixture out of the niche up on to the deck and remove the lens and check for moisture inside the fixture. If there is moisture in the fixture it's likely causing the GFCI to trip.

You can try disconnecting the wires to the fixture at the junction box, reset breaker, turn on light. If breaker trips, problem is bad breaker or wire between junction box and breaker.

If it doesn't trip, problem is between junction box and light fixture (likely water in fixture).

Update...again...
Opened the junction box, took the remote switch (Intermatic RC613) out of the circuit and the light worked great. Made all new connection in the box and put the remote switch back in the circuit...worked great...for several hours. Now tripping the GFCI breaker again ....errrrrr. What's the chance that the GFCI breaker is flaking out one me? A bit stumped on this one. My thought is to switch to another GFCI breaker that is availble and check my grounds in the panel too. Don't think it is a good idea to NOT use a GFCI breaker for the light. Thoughts????
Thanks again!!!!

GFCI's are required for eveything electrical around the pool. If you have another similarly rated GFCI breaker in your panel, it would be reasonable to try swapping the breakers and see if the problem persists.

I did find a listing on the internet for a gasket for a color logic spa light, so it's possible that your light can also be dissasembled. I'd have your favorite purveyor of pool parts check and see if there is a replacment gasket available for your light since you will want to replace the gasket if you end up dissasembling your light.

Houston....We found the problem!! I switched the GFCI breaker and bingo, issue appears to be resolved. Looks like I had a breaker that may have been a bit "sensitive", or it could be making new tight connections at the breaker was the problem. Either way, working great after many on/off cycles. Thanks to everyone for your input and guidance. This forum rocks because of the great folks here that ALWAYS offer good, sound advice.
Thanks again!!!
SamiGuy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.