my SWG died before being able to close pool, what do I do??

Oct 16, 2009
Hello everyone! I knew that our SWG was on its last leg right before we left on our 2 week trip to Thailand. When we returned home, it had died and now we have a nasty green swamp. I have used this forum to help me close the pool for several years, but it has always been crystal clear when I have done so. Do I need to clear the water up before I close it dow??? If so, how do I do that without buying a new SWG right now??? i would like to wait till next season to buy one.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jeffrey

Re: my SWG died before being able to close pool, what do I d

First, you never clear a swamp with a SWG, best to use bleach.

You have Two options at this point.
1. Go through the shock process described in Pool School using bleach to clear the pool now and then close ... hoping to be clear next year.

2. Close now and deal with the shock process in the spring ... again using bleach.

What is the water temp now?

If you opened in the spring early while the water is still cold, I think the shock process would go pretty quickly. Although if it is cool now already, you should be able to clear it up quickly now and then just maintain with bleach until you get a new cell for the SWG.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I don't know where you live but if the water is under 70 degrees I'd go with jblizzle's option 2 at this point. Open a week earlier than you normally would and shock it then. That's what I did last year when mine turned green because my salt level dropped shutting off my SWG.

Thanks for the help! The water temp is between 55 and 60 today. I am not sure if my wife wants to leave the water looking like this all winter since we never use a cover and have to look at for the next 6 months. I might go ahead and use the bleach method to clear it up.

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.