Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grill With Skill Has Moved to TFP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Grill With Skill Has Moved to TFP!

As some of you may have already noticed, we have a new category and forums, under the heading Grill With Skill. Grill With Skill was a little side project of mine - an outdoor cooking forum. While I love the concept, I just did not have the time to work on and promote the site as thoroughly as I should have.

In order to give better service to the Grill With Skill crowd and to add a fun new dynamic to TFP, I have condensed the Grill With Skill forums and moved them over here.

GWS is still open for the purpose of moving over posts, for those who want to do so, but any new posts should be made here at TFP.

On a related note, I have asked ktDave to serve as the primary moderator of the GWS area of the site. Dave hung in there over at GWS even when my attentions were elsewhere - Thanks Dave!
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Sean, don't get me wrong here, I love GWS and hope it grows, but I'm thinking you're going to get some complaints on this one. Mainly from the subject of 'view new posts'. This is how I (and I'm guessing most regular readers) read the forum. In my case I click the 'view new posts' link and then go through the entire list and open each thread I want to read in a new browser tab. I then close the search tab and read through the posts at my leisure. If GWS starts getting busier (as I expect it will), grilling posts will start cluttering up the 'view new posts' search. I find this somewhat dis-jointed. It's probably a limitation of my pea-sized brain that can't easily shift gears from swimming to grilling and back quickly. Could we maybe have seperate links for 'new TFP posts' and 'new GWS posts'?
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am glad to see the BBQ forum added here. Like the idea of not having to go to a separate forum for this. I am by no means a BBQ expert, So I like reading and learning what others have to share. And if you think about it, Pools and BBQ sorta go together.
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    They do at my house.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    They are a perfect marriage.....My grill is right next to the pool!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Good idea. I also have my various cookers on the deck next to the pool.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

7. Back To Top    #7
    I'm with Eskimo Pie here. I click on View New Posts to read the pool forum and find the new index with grilling topics interspersed in the pool topics a little disorienting. I'm wondering if there's a way categorize them or separate them somehow so the New Posts index has two sections?

AnnaK
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK if we are voting i would like to keep it here. the grill is part of my pool equipment. If you don't try you don't improve.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

9. Back To Top    #9

Is it possible to have both? I'm all for more posts on grilling. My outdoor kitchen is only used for steaks, chicken breasts, burgers and hot dogs... I would very much like to learn more about different types of grilling and smoking. Having the grilling posts included in the 'new posts' link certainly will improve visibility and increase contributions.

There are undoubtedly people who don't even own a grill and have no interest in grilling but are still passionate about their pool. Maybe a new link for these people that just lists the new posts in the pool forums only?

Just my $0.02
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

10. Back To Top    #10
    I think it's pretty easy to differentiate the posts, just as you would any other area you don't follow.

However, I will see about segregating the new post listings by category when we make the big upgrade! Boy this is getting to be a long list.
    TFP Founder

11. Back To Top    #11
    The GWS posts are a wonderful addition to the site, IMHO. Finding a new recipe sprinkled among the pool posts is simply a treat 8)

I have been wanting to ask for a "What's For Dinner?" forum, and now it looks like that is done!

Thanks, Sean.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Sean, may I suggest a section for "BBQ island construction", at the presently defunct "BBQ Galore" forum, the busiest section was their diy island construction area. Tons of knowledge was available to anyone interested in building their own BBQ island, from steel stud and block wall methods, to applying stucco, and countertops. All from us members who have built their own. Just a suggestion. I am spreading the word to all of the members their with whom I have their email address's as well.

Thanks!

Greg
    41k pool, Pentair Intelliflo VS main pump, Jandy stealth 3hp water feature pump, Jandy stealth 3hp spa pump, Jandy LX 400 heater, Pentair 4000 DE filter, Jandy Aqualink RS controls, Jandy aquapure chlorine generator, 2 Pentair pool SAm lights, 1 Pentair SAl spa light. 4 Jandy deck jets, 1 Jandy sheer decent, Rico rock water fall.

13. Back To Top    #13

I second the motion...
    My Pool:

14. Back To Top    #14

Hey Sean,
    I think I mentioned to you before that I love the idea of GWS being accessible from TFP (being ON TFP is even better)!
    I'm in the hearth (stove) industry, and our industry organization is the "Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association" (www.hpba.org). Years ago, it was just "HBA" but then they decided to add Patio product, since it all logically goes together and many retailers carried the patio furniture, etc., along with hearth and barbecue product.
    Now, with the popularity of the "Outdoor Room," pools and barbecuing are definitely hand-in-hand. Going to the trade show sounded boring when I first took the job, but it's amazing to see the things that are happening in the Outdoor Room concepts. Incredibly fun...
    So thanks!
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

15. Back To Top    #15
    Thanks Todd. Greg, I'll add it now. As with any new area I add, if people post it stays and if not, it goes.

Thanks for spreading the word.
    TFP Founder

16. Back To Top    #16

Re: Grill With Skill Has Moved to TFP!

Did the grill with skill section become the outdoor cooking section?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

17. Back To Top    #17

Re: Grill With Skill Has Moved to TFP!

Yes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School