Replacement Pump&Motor Question

Aug 18, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
Hello,

I purchased my house about a year ago which has an 8.5' deep pool. Other than general maintenance I don't really know much else. Over the past year my pump/motor has been making noise which has come and gone and grew louder until a few days ago when the motor completely seized and will no longer run. The motor and pump are very old so I would much rather purchase a whole new one rather than have this one repaired. I have look all over the internet and there are a lot of options but being as though I am so new to this I would really appreciate some advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good replacement and a trustworthy site where I could order a new one?

Thank you.

Re: Replacement Pump&Motor Question

Do you have any high flow needs not listed in the signature? Any future solar?

If not, then the 3/4hp pump should be fine. I would suggest you consider a 2 speed pump whey you can run on low for circulation and on high when you need more flow ... cleaner, vacuum, etc.

Is you current pump 120 or 240 volt?

Was it giving you enough flow for your needs?

What size suction and return lines from the pad do you have and how may?

Pentair makes some nice 2 speed pumps. Superflo is smaller than the Whisperflo and likely would be plenty.

My pool sounds similar to yours and I am adding solar with the 1hp superflo 2 speed ... pump was under $400.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I do not have any future plans for Solar. As far as any high flow needs I don't believe I will need any, the information in my signature was everything I could gather from my setup that I knew about. I basically want to keep what I have just replace what broke, nothing special.

Current pump appears to be a 240, the label on the pump is gone from sun damage. Judging on what the power cable looks like I would confidently say its 240.

As far as the flow for my needs I think it was just fine. I am not sure how hard the water should be coming out of the returns (I have two) since I have never owned a pool until I bought my house. The water seemed like it was barely coming out at times, just enough to tell water was coming out of the holes. Being as though I bought the house with this old pump/motor I can't compare to how it used to flow when it was new. The house was built in the 70's.

The whole setup appears to be using 1 1/2'' pipe coming from the pool to the pump, then to the filter back to the pool.

So, you have 1 pipe from the pool to the pump and then one from the filter back to the pool (which then splits into the 2 returns)?

Whisperflo's are high flow pumps, and may not be good for that plumbing setup. Sounds like you could stick with a 3/4HP single speed. Or to save $ on electricity get a 2-speed. The 3/4HP Superflo is 120V, so that may not work without wiring changes. The 1HP Superflo 2-speed is what I have and think it would work well for you. It has a switch on the motor to select speeds, or you can get a timer to control the speeds automatically. I run my on low speed all the time right now. When I get my solar going, I will just run on high speed during the day.

FYI, a 2-speed pump generally moved 1/2 the water for 1/4 the cost of electricity. So, if you double the run time on low to match the turnover on high, you still should save 50% of your electrical cost.

BTW, I ordered mine from ezpoolz.com ... cheapest price I could find. In fact I think a friend of mine in town ordered the same pump from them as well.

Mr. Majalca,
Jason's given you good advice. The three big pump manufacturers (Hayward, Pentair, Jandy) all make pumps that would work for you, and a 2-speed would be a good idea if you can swing the cost right now.

Single Speed 2-speed
Jandy FHPM1.0 FHPM1.0-2
Hayward SP3010EEAZ SP3010X152AZ
Pentair SF-NI-3/4FE SF-N2-1A

Now stop watching Gangnam Style and look up some prices!

I would put the Hayward SuperII in the same category as the Whisperflo since they have similar head curves. However, the Hayward Superpump and Pentair Superflo are more comparable and are designed to be replacements of each other. So if you want to go with Hayward, I would look at the Superpump SP2607X102S instead of the SuperII.

Here is the update on my pump decision. After taking in all of the great information I received and doing some research I have decided to go with the Dual Speed Full Rated Whisperflo 2Sp 1 Hp Wfds-4 230V. I ordered it from AmeriMerc.

Not sure how long it will take for the pump to get here but it can't come soon enough because my pool water is beginning to look green :/

Thanks again for all of the help.

Well, I think that is a little oversized for your plumbing and flow needs, but it is a great pump ... just will cost a little more to run than the Superflo would have and likely a little more $ to purchase.

I know it’s bigger but my old pump just never seemed to be moving water very well at all. When a leaf would by pushed to the bottom drain the suction was never strong enough to bring the leaf down, it would simply rest on the drain guard as if the pump was not on at all. Only small floating particles would go down.

A couple of other factors I had to consider was that the in floor cleaning system was not working because of the previous home owner. He was foreclosed on and decided to take all of the cleaner heads and I am pretty sure he took all of the components out of that little dome thingy that the water goes through before returning to the pool. When the pump is started all of the zones start up simultaneously, there is no separation between zones or the returns. It is as if all of the zones are putting water out making the returns feel as if they are barley putting out water. There is no marking on the holes at the bottom of the pool so I cannot really tell what type of cleaner heads I need not to mention the surface components used to separate the zones. Since I purchased the house like this I didn't really care much about it. I am okay with manually cleaning the floor and using Kreepy when I need to. The other thing is the capacity of my pool. I just recalculated my pool size and it is actually much larger than I previously thought. My pool is about 35' long, 16' wide and has an average depth of about 5.75' with an 8.5' max depth. based on those values I am looking at approximately 24,150 Gallons. This pool was probably built in the 1970's and still has its diving board.

I was also told that the pump in place was put there recently as a replacement and not the original.

I need to update my signature now. Thanks again for all of the help. I will definitely be back to pool school when the pump is installed because as I stated before the water is already getting very green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you post some pictures of the equipment and the dome, we might be able to help figure out the parts you need.

So do you have 2 wall returns that you are currently using and the floor returns are not used at this point? If you decided to get the floor going again, that may need the larger pump. The capacity does not really affect the pump size.

The floor drains typically do not have a lot of flow through them as we tend to want better skimming action. Many do not have floor drains or may even close them to only use the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.