Pool Motor Tripping Breaker

Sep 23, 2012
Orlando, FL
Need some help/advice.
About a month ago my 1 1/2 hp pool motor starting tripping the breaker sporadically. Around 3 weeks ago it tripped it after running for 15 minutes and would not reset. The breaker smelled a bit burnt and hot. I let it cool down and reset it then again it would run for 10-15 minutes and trip again. I decided to leave it alone and take it part to take in to my local pool shop when I had time.
I took it in last week and was told the motor was about to go and was probably better off replacing with a new one since it was 7 years old. A very good run as they only last 3-5 years.
I decided to go with a beautiful state of the art variable speed 2.7 hp VO Green Century motor. I got around to installing and programming it this morning. It was running super nice and quiet. 10 minutes later... The breaker tripped. Same smell and still quite warm.
Called my pool store and after brainstorming for a bit. The owner suggested to replace the double 20 breaker as it MAY be that it went bad.
Before I venture into that in the next few days. Is there anything else I should be looking into?

Replacing the breaker sounds like a good place to check. Do you have any timers enroute as well ? I'd check them as well.

It would be best to be using a GFCI breaker, but said GFCI dual pole 220 V breaker is about $100 for a GE brand - some are even more expensive.

It is possible it could be the breaker but if both motors are hot (not just warm), smell (i.e. burning insulation) and trip a breaker, that sounds more like an overload situation.

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the wet end. Any defect causing an extra load would affect both motors in the same way. When you replaced the motor, did you also replace the seal and did you inspect all of the wet end components?

Just-a-PB said:
Ditto on replacing the breaker, that was probably your issue the entire time.

Unless it is required by local code gfci breakers on pumps are a nuisance, I wouldn't bother.

Looks like ill be hitting Home Depot bright and early tomorrow.
I'm not in an electrician but am pretty good at things like this.
Any thing I should look out for when changing the breaker?

WVUTampaAlum said:
Oops. Pool store ripped you off.

Yes and No
The bearings were sounding a bit loud and it did trip their breaker during testing.
I also was looking at a new high efficiency variable motor because of the age of mine.
Could it have survived a while longer? Maybe. But it may have been draining my electric the rest of its short life.
Maybe I'm just justifying the $700 for the new one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update:
Replaced breaker this morning $12. It's been running for and hour and a half. Finally! The positive red wire was burned about an inch and half from the breaker. Lucky it didn't catch fire.
Thanks to all for the help! I'm glad I found you guys on here. I'm sure ill be posting other questions shortly as my pool vac just died.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.