Not sure what I have - algae?

I haven't done the filter cleaning yet. I will probably need help. Trying to find a users manual for my filter online, but not having much success.

Since I vacuumed to the "filter" I'm now seeing a few spots on the bottom of the pool again. Yesterday FC: 17.5; CC: 0; CYA 50; Added 49 oz bleach @ 6% (to keep at shock level); Tonight's reading: FC: 16.5; CC: 0; didn't test for CYA. Should I? And, do I superchlorinate (Mustard Algae level) again or keep at shock level? Until I hear from someone, I'm going back up to shock level.

If debris is getting past the filter, it is possible that you have a bad or an improperly seated spyder gasket on the filter valve. I am fairly new to pools but I did have this problem on a brand new Hayward filter, I assume it was an installation problem. That gasket has to be seated just right, I am sure someone on this forum has some tricks to get it set corectly. The gaskets are relatively cheap so just get a new one if possible. There is a special product you use to hold it in place while put it back together. so make sure you get a tube of this stuff when you get the gasket.

rhharmon said:
How can I tell how much sand my filter needs if I don't know the model number. The Make is SuperClear.
why? If you clean it you won't need to replace the sand. Oh, I guess you might lose a little is that what you are worried about?

- Sent using Tapatalk

Finally got in touch with the company that sold us the filter. We replaced the sand in July and didn't know how much to put in. Took it to the pool company, they had us put in 100 lbs., it needs 175 lbs. Cleaned the sand as instructed with the water hose, added the extra sand. Now waiting on the pool to fill up before the next step.

rhharmon said:
....didn't test for CYA. Should I? And, do I superchlorinate (Mustard Algae level) again or keep at shock level? Until I hear from someone, I'm going back up to shock level.

It doesn't look like anyone answered your questions I snipped out above.
To the 1st question, yes. As it sounds like you had already drained the pool down below the skimmer in preparation for a winter closing.
So the CYA will be lower due to the dilution from new water. This will make your shock level lower as well.

To answer question number 2, no and yes. No on the mustard shock level. That was only because you were going to be gone over the weekend and unable to add CL to the pool in the middle of the shock process.
Yes, just shoot for normal shock levels for your CYA ammt.
You don't have mustard algae so you don't need to use that now.

UWV, thanks for backing me up bro. Been a little busy with other things and not much time for personal "web stuff".

y_not said:
rhharmon said:
....didn't test for CYA. Should I? And, do I superchlorinate (Mustard Algae level) again or keep at shock level? Until I hear from someone, I'm going back up to shock level.

It doesn't look like anyone answered your questions I snipped out above.
To the 1st question, yes. As it sounds like you had already drained the pool down below the skimmer in preparation for a winter closing.
So the CYA will be lower due to the dilution from new water. This will make your shock level lower as well.

To answer question number 2, no and yes. No on the mustard shock level. That was only because you were going to be gone over the weekend and unable to add CL to the pool in the middle of the shock process.
Yes, just shoot for normal shock levels for your CYA ammt.
You don't have mustard algae so you don't need to use that now.

UWV, thanks for backing me up bro. Been a little busy with other things and not much time for personal "web stuff".
no problem.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.