Clorine Test

Apr 15, 2012
South Dakota
Two weeks ago the motor died and during the time it died and the time I got the new motor in the pool got cloudy. My question/problem is when I test for FC I add two scoops of the R-0870 and the sample barely turns pink but when I add drops of R-0871 gets very pink. The R-0871 should make it loose pink not get a stronger color. Whats going on?

I have taken other water samples at other times with the same result this week.

PH 7.4
TA 250
CH 300

CYA can't find the little container right now to get a test done.

Try the OTO Yellow Chlorine test to test for chlorine pressence...either it will stay clear, turn pale yellow or burnt orange...have you added chlorine while the pump has been down?

Make sure you use 2 heaping scoops of R-0870 DPD powder, swirl to mix, some granules are fine at the bottom, they don't all dissolve at 1st.

Check your DPD Titrant reagent.
R-0871 is FAS-DPD titrating reagent. It should be a clear colorless liquid. If it turns a dark yellow color, it has gone bad.

Make sure you hold the bottle completely vertical and squeeze with just enough pressure to allow a drop to come out and hang on the tip for just a moment before falling. IE. Minimal required pressure to reach a fully formed drop, which changes as the bottle empties, or when it's full and new.
At high FC levels you need to add drops quickly, about once per second, swirling the entire time. You can slow down as you reach the end.
Use a white backdrop in good light to verify your endpoint and that the water is indeed clear.

If you suspect FC is very very high, in order to save on reagent and DPD powder, use a 5ml water sample. Each drop of R-0871 reagent will equal 1ppm of FC instead of 0.5ppm as it would with a 10ml sample. This test is also less accurate, but OK for getting close as it produces about a 20% yield in accuracy.
So with a FC level of say 15ppm, you could be 12-18ppm, vs a 10ml sample will yield an accuracy range of 13.5-16.5ppm FC. So still reasonable enough at 20% and way more accurate than OTO.

But do use your OTO Taylor Basic kit, or whatever OTO block you may have if not that one and verify how high/low your CL is.

Another thought would be that you might be fighting with ammonia in there, hence the odd behavior. But I suspect the above should cure it, as you clearly have CL present, since it turns pink when you add the DPD powder. I'm just betting there isn't enough DPD being added and the titrating isn't happening fast enough.

stew930 said:
I didn't add any chlorine when the pump was down since I wasn't sure how it would circulate. Looking back now I should have just dissolved some shock in a bucket like I usually do and dumped it around.

Could you add liquid chlorine and mix up the water by doing some brushing and leaf scooping in this situation, would it work?

What is the relevant weight of bleach - would it just sink to the bottom or rise up to the top?

I remember "Brownian Motion" from high school chemistry - but can't remember if this only applies to gases?

Or does it apply to liquids as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.