New pool - need help

Jun 15, 2012
Sacramento, CA
My PB's pool guy took off on me with no pool school whatsoever. I need help! I've read through the pool school info and used the pool calculator but I'm still nervous about going at this alone.

New plaster pool filled Sept 14. I have a SWG and PB's pool guy wanted to start it up Monday. When I said no (after reading the posts here recommending a 30 day wait before adding salt) he washed his hands of the situation. :grrrr: I don't know what he added during start-up...he was really cadgey.

Yesterday, I got a tub of 3" trichlor pucks and a floater. I put 2 pucks in the floater last night.
This morning, I used the test kit my PB gave me to test for FC and PH. Couldn't see any color change on the FC test. PH was 7.2 to 7.4 (couldn't tell the difference).

Today, I picked up my TF-100 test kit and tested for FC and CYA. Here are my results.

FC .5
TA: 100 (done with the PB's test kit)
CYA: 0 (not sure about this one - the mixture was clear so the dot in the tube never disappeared).
PH: 7.4 (with PB's test kit).

Based on the pool calculator, I added about 110 oz of clorox bleach this evening. I picked up some CYA but I'm afraid to add it since I have the two pucks in the floater. Should I add the powdered CYA also?

Any suggestions? What else do I need to do? So far the pool is clear but I'm sure that could change very quickly. Also, my kids are desperate to swim and I won't let them until I know the chemicals are balanced and safe.

Thanks!

2 picks weigh between 12-16 oz. at the bottle of the pool calculator you can see the effects of adding chemicals. 16 oz of trichlor only raises the CYA by around 4.5, typically you would want CYA to be at a minimum 30ppm and with an SWG you need to eventually get the CYA level to around 70.

Adding 64oz of CYA on top of what you already added in pucks would put you close to a CYA of 38ppm.

- Sent using Tapatalk

As long as your are registering a few ppm of FC while you are adding the CYA, it is safe to swim.

Since it Is plaster, you need to keep a close eye on the pH and CH so no damage is done.

How did you pick up the TF100? There are only 2 stores that sell it.

Do a full set of tests and post them.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I would use enough Stabilser to raise to 30/40 mark (pool calculator will tell you how much to use(and it is safe to add when there are pucks in use)) then keep using the pucks this month until you get CYA to the desired 70 range - it would be wasteful to stop using the pucks straight away when you don't have much CYA in your pool yet. The pucks can then be used in later months/years when you need to top up the CYA level.

with CYA so lo, providing you have an FC of 2ppm or more (0.5ppm FC is already classed as safe to swim by many), your CC's are less than 0.5ppm and your water is clear it is safe to swim in, as Jason has stated you need to check your Calcium Hardness level to know where it stands as it's important in a plaster pool.

pH between 7.2-7.8 is safe to swim in with 7.4-7.6 being classed as the most comfortable for bathers, CYA, TA and CH are irrelevant for bather comfort.

Your recommended levels per pool school once you have the SWG up and running are:
with SWG
FC 3-5
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 60-80
CH 250-350
CYA 70-80

Meantime getting your CYA increased, checking your CH level and keeping the pool Chlorinated are your main concerns, TA of 100 is fine, but Pool School recommends 60-80 for a SWG Plaster Pool, so that might need to be brought down around when you startup the SWG.

Regards
Stu

I assumed "pick up" meant it arrived or it was delivered to another location. I had no idea it was sold in retail anywhere.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Right. there are 2 online sites that sell it. Maybe the terminology used was just confusing. In any case, where did you get the kit?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Sorry for the confusion. I have the genuine TF-100. I ordered it online from Pool Supply World and since I live in Sacramento, I was able to pick it up from their store in Rocklin.

I put 32 oz of stabilizer in a sock last night (which was all that would fit) and hung it in front of a return. It's almost gone this morning.

Here are my test results this morning:

FC: 8.0
CC: 0.0
TA: 100
CH: 200
PH: 7.5
CYA: 0

Should I put more stabilizer in, or wait? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
32 oz of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 16 ppm. I'd wait a couple of days at least to add any more. You don't want to overshoot.

If I read this thread right - he started with an unknown amount (likely zero) from a new install and a cagey pool builder agent who washed his hands of the OP. He's measured zero each time from the start and his only "known" additions of CYA were a pair of 8 oz pucks and the 32 oz he just added. The total CYA added is around 19-21ppm at this point.

He also has a SWCG that is not yet turned on. I would anticipate that he should dump another 32oz of CYA in to target closer to 36-40ppm now and then after that shows up and his water is good then he would still need another 30ppm to bring it to SWCG levels later.

Is the concern that the PB may have added some stabilizer already that hasn't shown up?

I'm not sure what the the pool guy added so I'll probably wait and test the CYA on Sunday. I just tested the FC and I'm down to 3.0, from 8.0 this morning so I suspect that there isn't much CYA working yet. CC is at .5.

A few hours after adding 108 oz. of Clorox last night, I went from 0 FC to 8.0 and it held steady overnight. That afternoon sun really does do a number on the FC level.

I'm concerned about the CH level of 200 and the potential damage to my new plaster. The pool calculator recommends I add 104 oz of calcium chloride. When should I add this. Also, I've told the kids they could go swimming tomorrow (first time). Can I add the calcium and have the kids swim in the afternoon?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. Because of this site, I am much more informed and confident and will be taking care of the pool through the BBB method.

Stuntweasel12 said:
I'm not sure what the the pool guy added so I'll probably wait and test the CYA on Sunday. I just tested the FC and I'm down to 3.0, from 8.0 this morning so I suspect that there isn't much CYA working yet. CC is at .5.

A few hours after adding 108 oz. of Clorox last night, I went from 0 FC to 8.0 and it held steady overnight. That afternoon sun really does do a number on the FC level.

I'm concerned about the CH level of 200 and the potential damage to my new plaster. The pool calculator recommends I add 104 oz of calcium chloride. When should I add this. Also, I've told the kids they could go swimming tomorrow (first time). Can I add the calcium and have the kids swim in the afternoon?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. Because of this site, I am much more informed and confident and will be taking care of the pool through the BBB method.

Typically people can swim 30-60 mins after adding chemicals that might be an issue like Chlorine or Acid. As far as I know if you are not adding your calicum by using calcium hypochlorite then they can swim anytime after you toss it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.